Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Mental Glitch

Mental Glitch 14 years 10 months ago #1468

As quite a few of you already know, I taught school for 35 years, American History and Spanish. My Spanish classes had to do an oral quiz every Friday which consisted of a conversation with a classmate...topic assigned by me. My students for the most part prepared quite well for this but once in a while a "kid" would come up and have a total "mental glitch"...I was pretty understanding about this and would allow them to sit down recoup and try again after a couple of others had done theirs. I always "understood" but honestly I had forgotten what it felt like! Well, last night I was brought back to my school days when I was the one with the mental glitch. Totally forgot what I was in front of the class for....I heard Steve say we were doing Dark Hollow and that's all I remember...next thing I knew I couldn't even remember what the chords were..:angry: ..and we practiced well in little room 5. The point I'm trying to make is this...had this happened to me about a year ago when I had just started out I would have been mortified....probably would've left the room in tears or maybe even tried to run out. Last night I didn't care. Don't get me wrong, I didn't want to mess up, and I wish I had done it as we rehearsed but again my point is that I messed up BIG, but so what....there's still next week and the week after that and I gave Sam and my nephews something to tease me about. We'll all have those days...I had them during my racing days, surely have them when I bake....so it's going to happen in my music class...and probably quite often...but ....Life goes on and it's still a FUN TIME there. :P
  • Tigerpaws
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Mental Glitch 14 years 9 months ago #1471

Well said Sylvia. I feel like I have the "Mental Glitch" almost everytime I get up in front of class. What helped me was when I realized that even the best players in class mess up sometimes, but everybody in class is in it together ..and pulling for each other. I am learning, not just from Dave but from everybody who participates...and each time I'm up...it bothers me less, so who knows...maybe some day soon...I will play a well timed glitchless song. :laugh: But regardless, I appreciate the positive comraderie
  • dcone
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

Re:Mental Glitch 14 years 9 months ago #1473

I have experienced brainlock a few times in class also. In the little room everything is great, then when I get up in front of the class everything goes blank. The week before last I was supposed to take the first lead. The other players were strumming rythem and looking at me and I was wondering why, then it hit me. D'oh. But the class experience "Performing With Others" has taught me how to pick it up and continue on, something I would not have known how to do without it. Thanks, Dave.;)
  • screendude
  • Gold Boarder
Last Edit: 14 years 9 months ago by screendude.

Re:Mental Glitch 14 years 9 months ago #1475

I think the magic of this class is that it forces you from your comfort zone. I know before i wouldn't really want to play in front of and with others because of performance anxieties, our intimidation or whatever. I've learned some concentration skills that help prevent those little mental glitches. I don't even look at the crowd really, just concentrate on my band mates. That helps me to focus on timing, and get into the groove of the song.
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave

Re:Mental Glitch 14 years 9 months ago #1476

This really happens to all of us. It wasn't too long ago my group was playing Old Joe Clark and when it was time for my break I couldn't figure out why I was having so much trouble keeping time. I suddenly realized I was playing Boil Them Cabbage Down. Talk about wanting to dissapear.
  • espian
  • Expert Boarder

Re:Mental Glitch 14 years 9 months ago #1487

Yup that happens - remember the nine pound circle.
  • jim
  • Senior Boarder
  • jim bennett
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.082 seconds