Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: playing in front of the class

playing in front of the class 15 years 6 months ago #201

OK..is it JUST me..who fumbles and forgets my break when I play in front of the whole class at the end of class??? This is NOT fun.:ohmy: ...we all seem to play so well together in our small groups..sounds great in those rooms..Where is Dave then to hear how wonderful we are !!
Can't we skip that last part of class??...
  • banjochick
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:playing in front of the class 15 years 6 months ago #203

Banjochick, don’t be discouraged. You play great! I believe that the whole premise of this class is to become comfortable playing with and in front of other people. When I signed up for this class I thought I was signing up for a banjo instructional class. When I realized what was really happening, thought of quitting because I was really in over my head. I didn’t know any chords or what a “vamp” was and I knew only one song that I had learned from the “Learn to play the banjo book with CD”. But you and the other students where kind to me and encouraged me to keep trying. Dave gave me some great instruction and I started having fun. I can sit home and play leads and chords in my living room, but in class it’s another story. I’m by no means comfortable but I am having fun and learning a lot. I’m grateful that I am allowed to play horribly and still participate because I learn something from everyone in each little group I play with.
  • screendude
  • Gold Boarder

Re:playing in front of the class 15 years 6 months ago #207

hey banjochick you are doing fine dont worry so much about it. if it was easy there would be no challenge, everybody would be doing it.
  • jim
  • Senior Boarder
  • jim bennett

Re:playing in front of the class 15 years 6 months ago #214

Good points made by all. Although I would have to correct you all when you say you are playing horribly. The participants in this class are learning something every time they attend. While the progress may seem slow, you are all making great strides.

As Jim said, if it was easy, everyone would be able to play and it wouldn't be special. Keep in mind, not everyone can do what you all have accomplished thus far. Keep up the good work.

Dave
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 50

Re:playing in front of the class 15 years 6 months ago #216

The great thing about the class is that we are all in the same boat..and that is learning to play with others..and not be so afraid..I am new to the banjo..and it is so great to see the great progress that each person makes ..week to week..You guys may not see it..but I do !I addmire everyone who gets up in front to play..
I have found playing at home along with instuctional DVD's has really helped my tempo..and be a bit more familiar with the tunes and the chord changes...
  • banjochick

Re:playing in front of the class 15 years 5 months ago #321

The class is great and I really do think that everyone seems to be getting alot better (except me of course). We are all so critical, but good humor will get us through. The anxiety of performing in front of others is the same as performance in sports. Learning to play golf in front of others or casting a fly to a 100 lb tarpon. the first few times its pretty scary.
  • brilind
  • Page:
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.086 seconds