Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: "blind leading the blind"

"blind leading the blind" 14 years 1 month ago #2510

OK, I noticed the other day that I actually could not see my strings clearly when I play, and had for a long time been fingering them more by feel (I'm nearsighted and the strings are beyond what I normally focus on). I put on my glasses and played and was buzzed to find I could see both my fingers and strings, seriously! Is this supposed to make someone a better player? I can't imagine the beating I will get on this!
  • Hogpaws
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:"blind leading the blind" 14 years 1 month ago #2515

Yeah, i'm guessing it's better to see the strings you're fretting. However, i have noticed that i'll concentrate on the tab, and play by feel. It's often not pretty, a muted note or fret buzz....It's getting easier to play like that, and i'm trying to do it more often. Makes it easier to read the music as i play.
boy, i wonder how Jeff Healy did it...awesome lap steel guitar player, and blind.
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave

Re:"blind leading the blind" 14 years 1 month ago #2517

And Reverend Gary Davis, aka Blind Gary Davis

I see the frets clearly with my progressive lenses but it doesn't help my playing.
  • edbird
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Last Edit: 14 years 1 month ago by edbird.

Re:"blind leading the blind" 14 years 1 month ago #2522

I need readers to read with, but my problem doesn't require good sight, but accuracy so i don't get a mute or fret buzz.
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave

Re:"blind leading the blind" 14 years 1 month ago #2587

Seeing those frets & strings sure helps but I'm actually trying not to look. I'm hoping it helps with the muscle memory and will make me a better player. Strumming the rhythm doesn't seem to be a problem but the leads get tricky when more than one or two strings are involved. You know if the strings don't buzz now and then we're not trying hard enough right?

OK do I get to pick a song now?
  • espian
  • Expert Boarder

Re:"blind leading the blind" 14 years 1 month ago #2601

I love this "blind leading the blind" topic. Maybe that's what we should name our band, right? There's so much to absorb from this. To see the fretboard to me is maybe a quick check on position when chording and maybe a tricky lick or two. But when I miss something repetatively, I have no problem looking at the fretboard just as long as I get back to listening to what I'm playing.
  • george
  • Gold Boarder
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.089 seconds