Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: "blind leading the blind"

Re: 14 years 1 month ago #2602

I love this "blind leading the blind" topic. Maybe that's what we should name our band, right? There's so much to absorb from this. To see the fretboard to me is maybe a quick check on position when chording and maybe a tricky lick or two. But when I miss something repetatively, I have no problem looking at the fretboard just as long as I get back to listening to what I'm playing.
Confusious say: posting gets song pic. Good one Steve
  • george
  • Gold Boarder
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:"blind leading the blind" 14 years 1 month ago #2618

I don't think you are typically supposed to look. Somehow blind players seem to be able to figure it out.
  • brilind

Re:"blind leading the blind" 14 years 1 month ago #2638

They say if you ae missing a sense, the others become more keen. Perhaps blind people can hear intonation better. in either case, blind musicians are gifted.
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave

Re:"blind leading the blind" 14 years 1 month ago #2724

I know what you mean as I've had a lot of visual problems to deal with lately. After my retina surgery, I couldn't see much of anything our of my right eye and it was very disconcerting trying to practice. Not only could I not see the music, for some reason, I couldn't find the right strings and frets consistantly, even if I tried to play without looking. I think there's just such a dependence on being able to see a certain way, that when you can't it really affects ones perception of where things are in space.
Now that my eye has improved following my recent cataract surgery, things have improved and actually I can sit in front of the TV and play really well(??) without looking. Even though there are and have been great blind players, if you're used to using your eyes, it's a challenge when there are changes to your vision. But Sam, it certainly does clarify things when you wear your glasses:lol:
  • Gogogal
  • Expert Boarder

Re:"blind leading the blind" 14 years 1 month ago #2747

Great topic! – I always wondered how others dealt with this.
I have always marveled at players who pick away flawlessly with their eyes forward & never have the fretboard in their sights. One thing I have tried when playing rhythm on guitar with others and following Dave on Wednesdays – is to either look forward or sometimes simply close my eyes -and change chords “by ear”. I also try this when I practice melody at home – and find it often works! I’m easily distracted when playing and sometimes lose my progression – but with eyes closed – I concentrate more (even if it looks weird!).

Having said all that – while I'm playing melody in front of the group on Wednesdays, my eyes are wide open and riveted to the fretboard! Just ain’t that confident yet– I guess!
  • ponhook_pickers

Re:"blind leading the blind" 14 years 1 month ago #2750

I have the same problem, I find I must really concentrate on the melody and not get distracted from it. Also at times I forget as to how to start the lead, but I guess I just need more practice, practice and more practice more.
Sparks.
  • sparks
  • Expert Boarder
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds