Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Playing scales-- the payoff is there

Playing scales-- the payoff is there 14 years 7 months ago #1708

OK, like many others, I tended to avoid playing scales. Lets face it, they're not very exciting, and we'd much rather be practicing the actual songs we might be playing in class, trying to make that lead as close to perfect as we can get it, playing it over and over again, etc... Well, I forced myself to play through the G scale, over and over, backwards and forwards, slow and fast, sitting down and standing up, eyes open and eyes closed, EVERY DAY. And I must admit, it is really making a difference. Instead of struggling to find notes, it is becoming more and more automatic. You have to force yourself to do it.. But if you are persistent, the payoff is there. You have to stick with it though. Just doing it for a day or two doesn't help. I'm finding it easier to play the leads, and easier to learn new songs. Just an observation on my part, maybe it can help others.:)
  • palkan22
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Playing scales-- the payoff is there 14 years 7 months ago #1713

I realize scale playing is a must if I want to better enjoy playing. I've been practicing the G scale in several positions up and down the neck combining different positions each time. I'm very slow at it and get very angry:angry: because I don't hit the right notes every time but I'm seeing the fretboard for the first time in a sense:woohoo: . I try to spend at least 10 min. a day at it and find it easier to do as the days go by. If nothing else, it helps develop my coordination. I'm sure it'll pay off in developing leads and chord finding;) . But it sure feels like work. No (mental) pain, no gain.
  • george
  • Gold Boarder

Re:Playing scales-- the payoff is there 14 years 7 months ago #1715

I didn't think much about playing scales. Pretty boring. But I've found that doing so has payed off great dividends. When you can start to recognize where they are on the fret board, navigating your left hand around and making your lead breaks is much easier. You would be surprised at how many songs are all about runnung up and down the scales. Scales are now an important part of my practice schedule. Boring? Not if I can help it!
  • espian
  • Expert Boarder

Re:Playing scales-- the payoff is there 14 years 7 months ago #1739

I have to admit...I love playing the scales and the pentatonics. Unfortunately maybe I play them too much and not practice My STRUM . Can not seem to get my mind ,fingers and timing and what ever else is needed to STRUM around the strumming. They don't call me DEAFSTRUM for nothing.
  • deafstrum
  • Expert Boarder

Re:Playing scales-- the payoff is there 14 years 7 months ago #1743

I too have avoided scales. But recently I've been encouraged to take on this practice in order to reach more and stretch my fingers. Although my hand gets sore, I do notice a difference in the ease of finding notes and reaching notes that I had difficulty with in the past. So I do try and play some scales daily before I start my practice. Even if it's not more than 5 minutes, if I do it several times a day, it makes a difference.:angry:
  • Gogogal
  • Expert Boarder

Re:Playing scales-- the payoff is there 14 years 7 months ago #1765

I would recommend learning some "three notes per string" scales.

For example, an A major scale with 6th string root:

7--9--10-
7--9--10

6--7--9

6--7--9

5--7--9
-5--7--9
  • OutlawSteph
  • Junior Boarder
  • Page:
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds