Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Guitar Materials

Guitar Materials 14 years 9 months ago #1188

What is sustainable cherry wood? I saw a Martin SWDGT that is a gorgeous guitar, i like the tortoise headplate and raised foil inlay, and gold tuning machines, just real pretty to look at. But the body and neck is made from "solid sustainable cherry". I'm curious about the whole sustainable deal...and i don't see alot of guitars made from cherry....do they treat it to be sustainable?
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Guitar Materials 14 years 9 months ago #1189

That term 'Sustainable Wood' was coined the name of good stewardship of wood resources in an effort to prevent clear cutting of wood species and forests, allowing the resource self-replenish. It has little to no impact on the quality of the wood itself, but it appeals to the conservationist shopping for a Martin :)
  • JohnS
  • Fresh Boarder

Re:Guitar Materials 14 years 9 months ago #1191

Ok....meaning they most likely re-plant what they cut down...which is smart, (good stewardship of the creation) and i'm far from being an environmentalist! I like trees....
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave

Re:Guitar Materials 14 years 9 months ago #1197

sounds to me that you are exactly what an "Environmentalist" is.:)
  • deafstrum
  • Expert Boarder

Re:Guitar Materials 14 years 9 months ago #1198

deafstrum wrote:
sounds to me that you are exactly what an "Environmentalist" is.:)

In a balanced sort of way i am, and not at the expense of our survival. I don't believe in global warming, or carbon foot prints, but i believe we have to be good stewards of God's Creation. Common sense balance. Look at what i drive---a 7500 lb. truck with an 8.1L V-8! But i can't tow a 28 foot trailer with a Toyota! But i'm paying for it (for which i have no problem) That's why i appreciate a company that builds a guitar with a certain species of tree, and re-plants the tree for future generations to use. Sustainable---thanks Ray! And i appreciate trees. I hate the indiscriminate cutting down of trees to build stuff. It just makes sense to use and replace. Thats why there are limits on fish size, seasons for certain species, and idle zones in known manatee areas.
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave

Re:Guitar Materials 14 years 9 months ago #1240

The last decade or so has been an awakening for guitar companies, I think. Maybe longer. And, from what I understand, Martin has been a proponent of resource management for quite a while. The sustainable series is principle put into practice. Too bad Brazil didn't do that 75 years ago. Even mahogany is getting scarce it seems. Martin is using a lot of sapele in place of hog for necks, parts and in some cases, whole bodies. A lot of people don't like that use but if I remember correctly, sapele was actually used by Martin many years ago to begin with.
Anyhow, conservation, like everything else, in moderation is a good thing.
  • Ray
  • Page:
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.072 seconds