Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: What would you recommend

What would you recommend 13 years 5 months ago #4194

Found out Sat that a neighbor and friend had purchased a banjo while on Vac 2 weeks ago. She did not know that I played but found out trough a 3rd party. So she asked me to help her get started. I told her that Ive been at it ~ 7years and the challenge is never ending. To which she replied I dont have that much time; Im guessing shes in jer late 60's and in good health so, so much for the comment. But here is the deal, would you recommend that someone that has never payed the banjo or any other string instrument, take up 3 finger style or, clawhammer?
I'll take any advice because I would love for her to not get frustrated and find an approach that she would enjoy.
  • martinezg
  • Expert Boarder
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:What would you recommend 13 years 5 months ago #4198

I would highly reccomend a dry martini to start... followed by a quick lap dance(banjo in the lap) and do what comes natural:) Personally from a guitar player's point of view (who will eventually play the banjo), I learned fingerpicking first before I started flat picking so,... 3 finger style for 45 minutes followed by 15 minutes of clawhammer :X
  • george
  • Gold Boarder

Re:What would you recommend 13 years 5 months ago #4200

Martinezg
I think its a wonderful thing for someone in their late 60,s to start a musical instrument. She will never get "All Timers Desease". Her mind will be much too busy for that to set in. Look at me, I am way past the 60's, I love guitar music and always have had a great love of learning things.
  • sparks
  • Expert Boarder

Re:What would you recommend 13 years 5 months ago #4207

Based on her statement, 3 finger is out since she is reluctant to put in the time and work.It is very demanding. I don't do clawhammer but I would suggest getting the new Jens Kruger DVD on begining banjo and for her to just be satisfied with playing the melody with some drone notes. Essentially, part of his DVD talks about using the 1 - 3 - 5 strings and playing the melody mostly on the third. She needs to just make some music and enjoy. That may last her forever or she may get interested in the challenge.
  • brilind

Re:What would you recommend 13 years 5 months ago #4208

thanks, good suggestion
  • martinezg
  • Expert Boarder

Re:What would you recommend 13 years 5 months ago #4209

The Banjo Angels sing every time a new musician takes up playnB) . A lot of reward may come from just holding your new toy:) so learn some chords (or cords as hogpaws says it) and play:cheer:
  • george
  • Gold Boarder
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds