Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: What would you recommend

Re:What would you recommend 13 years 5 months ago #4215

Time is the only thing any of us have. No matter how long or short life is it is just time, and music may just extend that time. So yes she should get Jens' DVD, and she should explore, and stretch. Never know where she might go.
  • lesliek
  • Expert Boarder
  • We are all important to someone.
Leslie Kay
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:What would you recommend 13 years 5 months ago #4241

The most important thing is that she plays something she likes. Playing one style or another because it's easier is silly if that's not the music you want to make. If someone gave me a piano but told me the only thing I'd ever be able to play on it was hip-hop, I'd sell the piano.

Don't discourage her from Scruggs style picking if that's what she expects banjo music to sound like. The classic advice holds true -- start slowly, concentrate on playing clean albeit slow, and in a few weeks she can have a couple of tunes friends will recognize. Maybe not FMB or Dear Old Dixie, but Yankee Doodle, Buffalo Gals, and Goodnight Ladies can all be learned pretty quickly to some recognizable degree.

Give her someone to play along with, that's the best help you can offer.
  • ckinzel

Re:What would you recommend 13 years 5 months ago #4258

Great advice!
  • lesliek
  • Expert Boarder
  • We are all important to someone.
Leslie Kay

Re:What would you recommend 13 years 5 months ago #4260

I guess the key thing is interpreting what the new banjo players meaning of "I dont have that much time" is. If that means that she has a busy life and can't practice much, that's an issue. If on the other hand if she is a pesssimist in general and doesn't thing she has much time (sic.life left) that is silly.

Having viewed the Kruger beginning banjo DVD I think it is great to get the beginner making some music and not being a slave to TABS. They can also move on to Scruggs or other methods after they get their feet wet. It is important to make music, enjoy and be able to get around the fingerboard.
  • brilind

Re:What would you recommend 13 years 5 months ago #4265

You've gotten some great advise from a couple of seasoned banjo players and of course you have your own learning experiences with the banjo. However, it is an omnimus responsibility to advise/mentor a novice banjo player.

Perhaps you should find out why she bought a banjo (on a lark while on vacation?),the type of music she thinks she wants to play and the purpose of playing (instrumental or singing backup). Also, she should understand that even beginning, the banjo takes a lot of practice. Show her some rolls and songs on the banjo and let her make her own decision.
  • Kmando
  • User is blocked

Re:What would you recommend 13 years 5 months ago #4268

And after she makes her decision, let us know how much she wants for it. B)
  • screendude
  • Gold Boarder
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.074 seconds