Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Timing, Strumming, Strumming, Timing

Timing, Strumming, Strumming, Timing 13 years 2 months ago #4818

FM was really driving that point home last class. It is so important. Sure having 15 - 20 musicians playing at (in) the same time, in a relatively small room, is a difficult task. If you listen close enough you can even pick (pun intended) on some of the pro's. When I try to figure out a new song, get familiar with the chord progressions and melody, I reach a point when I think I have it....but no. I just doesn't sound right. I certainly don't hit all the cords or notes right but what I've discovered is that it's the strum patterns, timings, pauses, etc. that give a song that finished flavor. It's like turning this ggggccggdcg into this Gg Gg cc Gg d c g. You really have to be conscious of it and incorporate it into your practicing/playing. I for one have a long, long way to go but there are definitely rewards for those willing to make the journey.
  • espian
  • Expert Boarder
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Timing, Strumming, Strumming, Timing 13 years 2 months ago #4828

That is definitely something I need to work on. My playing sounds very mechanical (ignoring the mistakes of course), lacking the nuances and accents that you hear when an experienced musician is playing. When an accomplished musician plays even the simplest of songs, you can hear the personality in it. I want to get to that someday.
  • palkan22
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6

Re:Timing, Strumming, Strumming, Timing 13 years 2 months ago #4843

I'm still at the point where I am working on keeping a good beat, and I have some work to do in that area. FM keeps pointing out in our lessons when I am off-beat and it is more than I would like. I am a lot better than I used to be, but I need a lot more work with the metronome.:)

Re:Timing, Strumming, Strumming, Timing 13 years 2 months ago #4872

FM also has instructed me to keep playing even if you make a mistake. One of my many problems is I stop to adjust when I make a mistake and then can never catch up. FM's illustration is if you are in an car driving in the left lane and stop abruptly then bad things happen.
  • Jay
  • Junior Boarder

Re:Timing, Strumming, Strumming, Timing 13 years 2 months ago #4873

I have the same problem, when I make a mistake automaticly my mind likes to go back and correct the mistake. But I have to learn when making a mistake, not to correct it, but just move on. It's tough but hopefully I will eventually get it.
  • sparks
  • Expert Boarder

Re:Timing, Strumming, Strumming, Timing 13 years 2 months ago #4881

Interesting forum
I agree - once you lose it -you can't stop and restart. Problem is - that everyone else in the circle is still strumming away and changing chords - so you have to pick it up somewhere - & finding that somewhere is hard - but is the only way.

However on the issue of playing speed or tempo - if the opener starts up & the playing speed is too fast - you have two issues 1) you're likely to make more mistakes than at slow speeds, and 2) ,more importantly, FM will blast you for it. I think it's best to simply stop the playing and ask for a slower restart. I think FM could live with that.
  • ponhook_pickers
  • Page:
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds