Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Timing, Strumming, Strumming, Timing

Re:Timing, Strumming, Strumming, Timing 13 years 1 month ago #4886

I am striving to be able to play past my mistakes :) and pick up the song in the next measure. However, I also agree that when the song is going fast, I often end up making more mistakes and getting lost more easily. I have been able to pick up my speed a lot more recently, but I still have difficulties especially with tunes I have not practiced as much as others. I don't have much problem asking to slow down the songs, but I think I do have another related problem, which is that my tempo sometimes varies quite a bit and is influenced by those I play with, even though FM suggests that I should try to make myself immune to such inconsistencies. I always try to remember that the metronome is my friend.:)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Timing, Strumming, Strumming, Timing 13 years 1 month ago #4891

You make a good point with regards to asking others in your group to slow things down when you're having trouble keeping up -- I've done that many times and the other players in my group have always been very accommodating in bringing the speed back to my level.
  • palkan22
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6

Re:Timing, Strumming, Strumming, Timing 13 years 1 month ago #4894

I keep reminding myself to play slow, FM keeps telling me to play with feeling. But my feelings run to fast. I guess I have to practice more with the metronome.
  • sparks
  • Expert Boarder

Re:Timing, Strumming, Strumming, Timing 13 years 1 month ago #4906

I tend to think that it's nerves - you can't help but feel apprehensive in the circle- so if you start the opening pick-strum - I find it's always too fast. At that point I find it best just to start over - (hopefully we haven't gone too far into the tune & it's too late!!)
  • ponhook_pickers

Re:Timing, Strumming, Strumming, Timing 12 years 3 months ago #6337

Some time back I was having the same problem but now I have successfully solved the issue.
Last Edit: 12 years 3 months ago by Administrator.

Re:Timing, Strumming, Strumming, Timing 12 years 3 months ago #6347

Looking back, I think my sense of timing has improved quite a bit since I wrote my last post on this subject. I don't have as much trouble keeping time or in strumming, at least when I am familiar with the chords I am strumming. I still go relatively slow compared to players with more experience to be accurate with my chords. And I am blown away by how fast FM can play some of the bluegrass songs he plays sometimes. But things are getting better and better.:)
  • Page:
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds