Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Relative minor scales

Relative minor scales 5 years 4 months ago #9634

In the last class, we learned that, in a song that uses a major pentatonic scales, instead of using the major pentatonic scale, you can use the minor pentatonic scale of the relative minor of that major scale. This is because all of the notes in the major scale of a key are also in of the relative minor scale of that key. But remember to start on the second note of the relative minor pentatonic scale, because that is the first note major pentatonic scale. The benefit is that it saves you from having to learn another scale and another fretboard pattern, This is really tough to explain in words and I'm sure it's confusing, so an example might help:

If I am in the key of A, and want to use the A major pentatonic scale, I could instead:
Use the Minor pentatonic scale (which I'm already familiar with) of the relative minor of A
The relative minor of A is F# (relative minor is the 6th note in the Amajor scale and can also be found as the 3rd note clockwise after A on the circle of 5ths)
So you can play major pentatonic leads in A by playing in a F# minor pentatonic scale, but remember to start on the second note of that F# minor pent scale, which is an A, which magically is the first note of the A major pentatonic scale !!

Same process applies to major pentatonic scales other than A..... just get the relative minor from the circle of 5ths and then you can use that minor pentatonic scale.
  • palkan22
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.064 seconds