Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: acoustic amps

acoustic amps 15 years 4 days ago #931

I know we play acoustic but.... I am looking in to getting an electric amp system for the upright bass and maybe the fiddle. Any suggestions? I would like to be able to sit in sometime with a group playing out... Rockabilly stuff is fun, as is swing..
Does anyone else amplify?
  • buzzart410
  • Gold Boarder
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:acoustic amps 15 years 2 days ago #937

Yes I amplify when playing guitar.
First quality has upright pickups for 149.95
An amp is around 3 or 4 hundred dollars.
  • jim
  • Senior Boarder
  • jim bennett

Re:acoustic amps 15 years 1 day ago #940

I have a Fender G-DEC, but i hardly ever amp the acoustic, at least when i'm noodling on it at home. Playing in a band may require the amp, due to the louder drums and electrics, or in front of a large assembly, like at church. I suppose if you were playing outside in a noisy area, it would become necessary, but i don't like the sound of amplified acoustic guitars, unless they are accompanied by other instruments.
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave

Re:acoustic amps 15 years 1 day ago #942

My son plays electric and I fool around with electric. He took the little amp and the zoom II pedal to college so I bought a Orange Crush 15r for $120 and a zoom G1 pedal for $60. The orange is very clean and the reverb is fun. It seems very well made and is probably pretty sturdy. The 15 watts is probably enough for acoustic playing.

We had a fender Gdec and sold it as we both hated it. The Zoom pedal is 100 times better for special effects and has a built in drum machine that sounds a lot better than the G-Dec.

Last time we were in New York there's a music store which has an amp studio on the sixth floor. They let you play "LOUD" to test out amps. My son played an Orange RockVerb tube amp with 200 Watts and a Mesa Triple Rectifier. You could probably hear it in Miami. Probably not a good choice for bluegrass bass.
  • axelhead
  • Senior Boarder

Re:acoustic amps 15 years 10 hours ago #946

i have heard good things about Acoustic Image amps, eapecailly for bass. a bit pricey though. Clean sound, small, lite, Bass needs more amps and watts to get a good sound. Something about high impedence pickups ...i will keep looking
  • buzzart410
  • Gold Boarder

Re:acoustic amps 15 years 10 hours ago #949

I think an amp for a bass is specific to that use, because of the frequency range. The amp most likely will have filtering to pass the lower frequecies.
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds