Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Banjo Bridge Blues

Banjo Bridge Blues 15 years 4 months ago #391

Over the past few months I've had 4 different bridges on my Sullivan Bardstown banjo, a mahogany banjo with the Sullivan Olf Factory Floor (OFF) rim. For all the changes, nothing has worked better than the basic bridge that came with the banjo.

I tried not one but two of the Sullivan factory floor bridges, made of very old very hard maple. one had regular string spacing, the other Crowe. Both were 5/8 height. And both sounded dull compared with the original bridge. Lots of people love these bridges, and I have one on my Sullivan Festival Deluxe everyday banjo, which maple, and on this banjo the Sullivan FF bridge sounds great.

I tried a Nechville "Enterprise" compensated bridge, and it was great for the intonation and very playable, but apparently all Enterprise bridges are radiused, and in this case, that slight crown caused a fret buzz on the first string when playing up the neck.

Each has its pluses, but each has its minuses. Has anyone found the perfect bridge?

-Chris
  • ckinzel
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Banjo Bridge Blues 15 years 4 months ago #393

Three bridges I really like are KatEyz , Sosebee and Arthur Hatfield

I really like the pinned bridge with your choice of top wood. You can talk to Mike and give him some information and discuss the tone you are looking for and he will make one for you that should please you. In my experience he also lets you return and trade bridges until you get it right.

The Gary Sosebee old wood bridge I really like also. Arthur Hatfield makes a great compensated bridge you might also consider.

If I had one to choose, though, it would be Kateyez.

I have tried the various Snuffy bridges and did not like them. Of course head tightening is another part of the process you need to experiment with. The note you tune the head to etc. Too tight and you choke off the bass, too loose and you have no high brilliance or sustain.

Good Luck.
  • brilind
Last Edit: 13 years 10 months ago by Administrator.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.071 seconds