Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: bridge

bridge 15 years 6 months ago #147

Hey Dave are compensated banjo bridges for intonation worth putting on? I've never seen anyone using one.
  • jim
  • Senior Boarder
  • jim bennett
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:bridge 15 years 6 months ago #149

I have a compensated bridge on my banjo. Its call a Cannon bridge. I can't tell if it helps or not. It can't hurt any worse then the way I play.:side:
  • screendude
  • Gold Boarder

Re:bridge 15 years 6 months ago #150

Jim -

Bridges are sometimes a matter of personal choice. You need to try a couple out to see what you prefer (sort of like using picks). Different bridges will offer a different feel (action) and sound.

For those who are not aware of what a compensated bridge is, I have attached an image file of one.

Maybe others could share their thoughts on the preferences and the experiences they have had with either a compensated bridge of other types of bridges.
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 50

Re:bridge 15 years 6 months ago #154

Jim,

comensated bridges are needed on some banjos to improve the intonation up and down the fingerboard. I have a slightly used Arthur Hatfield bridge and if you want you can try it and if you like it buy it (I think it cost $20 plus shipping new) as I no longer use it (sold the banjo I used it on). Let me know and I can bring it to the Wednesday class.

Brian
  • brilind
Last Edit: 15 years 6 months ago by brilind.

Re:bridge 15 years 6 months ago #189

I picked up a Nechville compensated bridge at IBMA. So far, I'm impressed that it has improved intonation on the G string. With he conventional bridge, the G string in particular was pretty sharp by the fourth or fifth fret. With the compensated bridge it stays more in tune up the neck.

That said, I'm not sure I like the tone I get from the new bridge as much as the original, but I've proven that at least for my banjo the compensated bridge does improve intonation.

-Chris
  • ckinzel
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds