Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Instrument names

Instrument names 15 years 3 weeks ago #887

What have people named their instruments and how did they arrive at those names?
I have 2 guitars "Martin" and "Lesser Martin".
As I was taking "Lesser Martin" out of the car after class I called her "Nefertitti".
The name just came to me. It was like the name was just floating around in the universe
and popped into my brain. Right place at the right time. So "Martin" is now "Aferdita".
Instruments are like children.....If you tell them that they are beautiful they will be beautiful.

Now if we can just convince them to SOUND beautiful :)
  • deafstrum
  • Expert Boarder
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Instrument names 15 years 3 weeks ago #890

Deafstrum, I haven't named mine yet...but I do know mine is a boy...(a girl would be more cooperative ;)) so when I name it, it will be a boy's name.
  • Tigerpaws
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

Re:Instrument names 15 years 3 weeks ago #892

Isn't that rather sexist, Tigerpaws? My guitar doesn't have a name and I don't think of it as having a gender. It's an IT. Maybe I just haven't become emotionally attached yet, like to a person, but I am very fond of "IT". I guess after spending enough time, one does form an attachment. I don't know how I'd feel if I ever got a NEW guitar....I would feel bad about neglecting "IT". Either I'll never get a new guitar or elso I'd have to play them both.
  • Gogogal
  • Expert Boarder

Re:Instrument names 15 years 3 weeks ago #894

Haven't really thought of naming my banjo but if I had to come up with one it would be, "She who must be obeyed."
  • brilind

Re:Instrument names 15 years 3 weeks ago #899

Hey Gogogal....yep.....everything in my life is either "he" or "she"....maybe from all the years of teaching Spanish :) I don't see it as sexist but then we all have our own opinions ;) My fingers are "he" as they do NOT listen to what I'm saying/thinking....my car is a "she", I can always rely on it...and I tend to name things too.....My first car was BETSY...but I haven't come up with a name for my guitar. I like Brilind's "She who must be obeyed"....maybe my Martin (Fretty?) should be "He who does his own thing"...:P
  • Tigerpaws
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

Re:Instrument names 15 years 3 weeks ago #924

My Martin plays beautifully at home, but seems to be very uncooperative on wednesday nights between 7 and 8 PM.
Sparks
  • sparks
  • Expert Boarder
  • Page:
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.073 seconds