Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Lead Rhythm Guitarist

Lead Rhythm Guitarist 15 years 1 month ago #757

I did realize 1 thing that perplexed me in the past. The importance of a lead rhythm player. Especially in our groups with multiple guitars. Our lead player was Tigerpaws (Silvia) And she did an awesome job of keeping a good 4 count with her rhythm. If the rhythm player is keeping a good rhythm with some sort of bass / strum combo, it makes it easy for the other guitarists to follow, and the time signature is easier to play with (like a metronome) Also, when the lead rhythm player takes a break, the other guitars should be able to hold up the tune, because they're in sync already. If someone screws up on a chord change, just ghost strum, and get back in with the proper fingering and strum pattern. Our song had a 4/4 time, and her bass/strum combination worked well, and stayed constant. Of course, there is more pressure on that rhythm player to get it right alot!
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Lead Rhythm Guitarist 15 years 1 month ago #765

Thanks Dave2311...but you guys kept the rhythm right with me...no one was speeding up or slowing down...and the banjo (Brian) did a great job at not pushing us to go faster ...it was a good group! and again thanks for the compliment :blush:
  • Tigerpaws
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

Re:Lead Rhythm Guitarist 15 years 1 month ago #773

I agree. It's all about the group and not trying to show how brilliant your playing is!
  • brilind

Re:Lead Rhythm Guitarist 15 years 1 month ago #776

I totally agree. Don't misunderstand. I wasn't suggesting she was the only one that could keep a good rhythm, my ear just tuned to it. The success of a piece is the sum of all the parts. It would be foolish to suggest otherwise!
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave

Re:Lead Rhythm Guitarist 15 years 1 month ago #789

Maybe we could play some songs in two parts. The first at a slower pace to keep everyone in synch and giving the slower players a good environment to play in front of others. Then recount the rhythm with a faster pace to make the song sound more like commercial level music and giving the more experienced players a chance to reach for a higher level.

Just a thought. Looking for feedback.
  • axelhead
  • Senior Boarder

Re:Lead Rhythm Guitarist 15 years 1 month ago #790

I kinda appreciate a slower pace with the playing.:) Being a rank novice, i'm still learning how to keep time in my head, make chord changes smoothly and accurately, watch the other musicians, get over the nervous factor, not "out pace" the other players when taking a lead, (see the keeping time in my head deal) just to name a few. There's lots of stuff going on when playing with others! I practice on average 7 hours per week, and i still mess up my lead breaks:angry: It is what it is, it's a class, i'm a student, i have alot to learn, i'll go at a student's pace. When i first signed up for this, i didn't think i'd handle it well. I figured it would be for alot more experienced musicians. I appreciate the wide skill level in this group, and the way Dave assembles the groups to play as a dynamic, cohesive unit. I appreciate a banjo player willing to play at 55 BPM...but i also enjoy watching them play @ 110...
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave
  • Page:
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.076 seconds