Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Alternate Tunings

Alternate Tunings 15 years 2 months ago #620

I have a technical question. I was looking at TABS for "Man of Constant Sorrow". It suggested an alternate tuning (DADGAD) I've seen this tuning in other bluegrass songs. It also suggested a capo on the 3rd, which would raise the pitch 1 1/2 steps. The guitar is tuned in G. I'm assuming this alternate tuning retunes the guitar to D, 2 1/2 steps flat. Then the Capo on the 3rd raises the pitch 1 1/2 steps, which would put the piece in the key of F? This would be a good class theory lesson! I guess if we didn't want to go thru the trouble of retuning, we could use the circle of 5ths and modulate to different chords? Of course, the melody lines would also come from this new transposition?
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Alternate Tunings 15 years 2 months ago #621

David

You are asking about altered tunings. First of all, the guitar is not tuned to a G as you mentioned. The banjo is tuned to an open G but the guitar's standard tuning E-A-D-G-B-E is not an open G or an open chord in itself.

The tuning of D-A-D-G-A-D is a popular altered tuning for guitar. Some have incorrectly called this a modal tuning. In fact, the tuning is to:dry: a Dsus4 chord. This is not a popular bluegrass tuning. Other open tunings on the guitar may include an open G tuning or a Dropped D tuning.

The drawback to playing in open tunings is that you have to learn new (different) chord forms. This is not something beginners are prepared to do, until they have mastered the standard tuning chord changes.On the plus side, the altered tunings allow for variations in your sound but they also require you to re-tune the strings for each song in a altered tuning. Try it a couple of times and you will see how old changing your tuning becomes.

To capo (the open tuning you mentioned) up three frets would change your open chord to an open fsus4 chord. The bottom line: if you really don't understand what makes up an sus4 chord, then it is probably premature for you to explore an open tuning as well.

Finally, this is not a simple matter of modulating, since the tune you suggested is written in a sus4 tuning.

Hope this addresses your questions.

Dave
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 50
Last Edit: 15 years 2 months ago by Administrator.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.060 seconds