Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Learning Scales

Learning Scales 15 years 2 months ago #606

Technical question for you fellow ax grinders....is it better to learn the scales on a single string and go up the neck, or learn them in box form? I think the right answer is if you want to be a well rounded player, learn them both ways? I know the 7 different forms are played in box form. Either way,it's a great finger workout...
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Learning Scales 15 years 2 months ago #608

I have to agree, it is a great finger workout. I'm trying to learn them both ways.
  • screendude
  • Gold Boarder

Re:Learning Scales 15 years 2 months ago #610

Using the WWHWWWH formula, we can change keys and play in the box. i guess both methods will make the player learn the fretboard better. i want to get to the place in my playing where i look at a fretted string and say "thats an F#" Or i watch a guitarist play a lead riff, and i can see that he's playing his licks from the first position pentatonic box. I find it's beneficial for me, since i'm a hands on learner, to diagram it out on a chord chart, then TAB it, then play it. Takes my brain several different ways to get something from material. Thats why i like to sit in on the theory, theres always something to be learned. The kid just wants to play. I'm trying to get him to come around on the theory. To really understand this instrument, the theory must be grasped.
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.063 seconds