Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Playing in groups

Playing in groups 15 years 2 months ago #575

playing in groups in daves classes has almost completly taken away the fear of playing in front of a croud and ive been in one grouping of classes once its also helped me with learning new songs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • BrandonT
  • Fresh Boarder
Last Edit: 15 years 2 months ago by Administrator. Reason: can't read yellow color
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Playing in groups 15 years 2 months ago #576

Youthful exuberance! Gotta love it! I was checking my practice logs, i have 5 1/2 hours invested in Simple Gifts. At home, i could pick those leads fast or slow. Even without the TABS. I began my lead, saw that stupid capo on the neck, and totally lost my place in the music! I still can't get up in front of people and play with total confidence. I know that his classes will eventually solve that. This class definitely takes the player out of his comfort zone. Larry eluded to this last week, and he's a very good player. I'll get comfortable with time.
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave

Re:Playing in groups 15 years 2 months ago #587

Dave2311
I don't think for many of us it will ever get comfortable....we just learn to stop caring (what others think :P )
  • Tigerpaws
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

Re:Playing in groups 15 years 2 months ago #597

I still totally lose it when I have to get in front of the class. I practice every day at home for at least an hour. I know the class songs at home, and even in our practice group. Then when it's performance time, my brain just shuts down. I don't seem to get over the anxiety.
  • pinky57
  • Gold Boarder

Re:Playing in groups 15 years 2 months ago #602

As in all things some people are just able to perform in front of others with more ease than others. Sports is another great example of this ability. But I think that skill and practice also have something to do with it.

When you play at home you think you know a song OK even if you do slow down at bit at the areas you don't know very well and you don't really notice your break in timing etc. I think that's why Dave encourages playing with the recordings. But, when you play with others errors are amplified for all the world to see and hear. Of course never discount nerves. Also, there is no substitute for hours and hours of practice.

If I can have some fleeting fun, without totally embarrasing myself, I think it was a success.
  • brilind

Re:Playing in groups 15 years 2 months ago #604

I may never play one of these songs without some kind of mistake but that doesn't stop me from having a good time. If I become a better player because of these classes that's a bonus. Playing with a different group each week reallys adds to the dynamic. I think that what makes us better. You can't get that at home.
  • espian
  • Expert Boarder
  • Page:
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.080 seconds