Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: NO CAPO!!!!

NO CAPO!!!! 12 years 11 months ago #5308

So Hogpaws and I did our third "Sing-Along" at my mom's Assisted Living Facility. This is a "family event" as my sisters and brother and their families come too. This year an in-law of my younger sister asked if he could come and play with us...our philosphy being "the more the merrier" we welcomed him with opened arms. However when we got to a particular song that we capo so we can hit the notes, we found out that HE DIDN'T HAVE A CAPO! What???? :ohmy: Can this be true???? :huh: I thought capos were our best friends...but not to worry...I had 2 so I lent him one....which I made sure to retrieve at the end...Live and Learn...guess he hasn't met FM yet! :lol:
  • Tigerpaws
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:NO CAPO!!!! 12 years 11 months ago #5312

I'll sometimes try to play our songs in another key (without the capo). It can be a challenge but a helpful practice tool. Especial for those times you leave your "friend" at home.
  • espian
  • Expert Boarder

Re:NO CAPO!!!! 12 years 11 months ago #5313

It really helps to understand the numerical sequence of chords (like we covered in class one time) when transposing. Ex: Key of C, a 1-4-5 is C,F,G... now it's easy to do the brain work while playing. Bam!... key of A, 1-4-5= A,D,E. Still the physical approach is challenging.
  • george
  • Gold Boarder

Re:NO CAPO!!!! 12 years 11 months ago #5324

Well I lost my Capo (confession time)...but..in last weeks class...F.M. was going over how you can move the C or D or A up and down the neck...he called it thinking out of the box...that was really cool to me as he made it appear easy. As a relatively new player...my practicing has been limited to playing from the base (of the neck)....the mandolin sounds so beutiful higher up the neck (when played properly which I don't do)....but I have been practicing some this week...it feels so un-constraining to be able to ramble up and the neck like that.
  • dcone
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

Re:NO CAPO!!!! 12 years 11 months ago #5325

I enjoyed that teaching. Barre chords are really the most economical way to play most tunes. They are harder to learn, they require more pressure typically to get them to ring correctly,which is why i don't practice them much. I desparately need to get off my duff and take private lessons....
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave

Re:NO CAPO!!!! 12 years 11 months ago #5369

I understand the use of the Capo but it causes me to fumble a bit. Lack of practice I am sure.... All in time I suppose.
  • lesliek
  • Expert Boarder
  • We are all important to someone.
Leslie Kay
  • Page:
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds