Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Rather than just let it die...

Rather than just let it die... 13 years 6 months ago #3903

I've been thinking about the "debate" about putting the chord structure on the board. I absolutely see the argument for it -- it would be lots easier to follow the song. But here's why I'm OK with not having the chords in front of me:

1) It makes me listen. At home, I need the tab (at first) to keep me on track, because there aren't 20 other people playing the song. But in the group setting, I get to hear the song. And heaven help me, I think I'm actually beginning to hear the chord changes. I'm new to the class, and many of last night's songs are not songs I play, but after a few "guided" passes through the chords, I could start to hear the changes and I remembered them better for it.

2) I don't count that well to always know what measure I'm in. Having the chords up there is all well and good, until you lose your place. Then you have to listen to pick it up by ear anyway.

3) So what if I miss a change. If I stay in the right key (probably on the root) and 20 other people are more or less correct, who'll know? There's some safety in numbers, and again, I'll hear it and pick up the right chord again.

Just my 2 cents, YMMV.
  • ckinzel
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Rather than just let it die... 13 years 6 months ago #3907

I agree 99%. If when introducing a new song though, the chord changes were written for all to see on the first time around then, erased for the remainder of practicing...playing it as many times as we need, that would answer questions or doubts in my head and I wouldn't make the same misses every time around. I'm basically interested in the difference between part A and part B not to mention a few quick "turn arounds" involved that keep me second guessing myself. I believe, as a group, we might benefit from it, at least 'till we're good enough to have the basic mechanics of our instruments, because we'll be able to "get it" sooner(faster):side: That would ween me off of "writing it on the board" because my ear/ hand co-ordination would improve.
  • george
  • Gold Boarder

Re:Rather than just let it die... 13 years 6 months ago #3909

George, I too am a visual learner academically....and I too fought Fretmentor....but I've learned that not seeing the chords while playing as a group has forced my "hearing" to develop and I'm amazed now at what I can "hear" and do without seeing the "written chords"....give it a try, I've been where you are.... :) and it will happen....you'll learn to retain quicker without the visual aid....
  • Tigerpaws
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

Re:Rather than just let it die... 13 years 6 months ago #3911

I have two suggestions, one being an alternative to writing the chords on the board and the other "down time".

First, as a "new guy" I haven't come close to learning the chords of these songs yet.
At the last class I tried to follow other guitar players. Speaking honestly, from where I was sitting, the guitarists who were in my line of sight really had no better understanding of the chords than I.
Therefore, here is my alternative suggestion to the issue of writing chords on the board (which by the way, I concur totally with Dave).

One proficient player of each instrument should be placed to Dave's left in front of the circle. One guitar, banjo, fiddle, mandolin. This way any musician will be able to look to the appropriate instrument and follow the chord progressions. As time goes on, one would only need to glance occasionally if lost.

Next, regarding "down time", I think Dave, as director, should not have to spend 25% of class time focusing on the needs of any individual and honestly, it sort of disrupts the flow. My suggestion above will also reduce this "down time" allowing everyone to play more and be lost less.

Thanks for allowing me to post an opinion. I am grateful to be included in this group.

Kind regards to all,
John
  • rudy481
  • Fresh Boarder

Re:Rather than just let it die... 13 years 6 months ago #3913

I think I'll have to go with the crowd on this one. I certainly have a lot to learn in that respect(and much more). I suddenly have a revelation to read "Bluegrass Fakebook":blink:.... If Pinnicio said "my nose will grow after I say this", will it grow?:huh:
  • george
  • Gold Boarder
Last Edit: 13 years 6 months ago by george.

Re:Rather than just let it die... 13 years 6 months ago #3919

Rudy481 is onto something. The format of the class has been this way since I've been coming to class (about a year). This forum is a much better venue to make suggestions, compliments or gripes about format - not class, where many of us have set aside time in our schedules to come to class to play as a group.

Assuming that there is a guitar/banjo/mandolin player that knows the chords to the song being played, this idea would work.

The point of the exercise is the play songs we are not familiar with - force us to listen - get us out of our confort zone and force us to wing it. If you miss the chord change - big deal. It's not an exercise in memorization. We have tabs for other songs where we are EXPECTED to know the chords and leads - because they are written down.
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.255 seconds