Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: The awkwardness of learning............

Re:The awkwardness of learning............ 14 years 1 month ago #2855

I just completed a week of little practice and then the opportunity to participate in a song I know was handed to me. I however promptly forgot all but the first four notes and crashed and burned. Better luck next week right?
  • lesliek
  • Expert Boarder
  • We are all important to someone.
Leslie Kay
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:The awkwardness of learning............ 14 years 1 month ago #2860

The contents of my lessons are starting to be like drinking from a fire hose. Overwhelming. Trying to organize all of it and still work on the class songs (I forget them too).

Sorry I keep missing class, and I won't be there next week either as we'll be in Los Angeles. I am going to try to visit McCabe's Guitar Shop, a landmark shop in Santa Monica, if I can get anywhere near it- we'll be out in the eastern LA suburbs mostly.

Keep plugging away!
  • edbird
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

Re:The awkwardness of learning............ 14 years 1 month ago #2861

Yes, This class is unique, nothing quite like it out there. The pressure to perform well gets a little intense but that's part of the deal. Some days are just better than others. There's quite a mix of people and that is just part of the challenge. Everyone gains! Evertone learns. I just wish we could play more.
  • buzzart410
  • Gold Boarder

Re:The awkwardness of learning............ 14 years 1 month ago #2867

I had never touched a mandolin until 1 month before I started going to the class. I literally didnt know what the difference was between a lead or melody, and rhythm. And my first night in class, I was paired up with 2 of the most experienced banjo players in the class. What a joke, I thought. And I went home mortified. But I stuck with it. And I stayed mortified for quite a while. But I saw myself improving. And as I got to know other class attendees, I realized they weren't judging me, or feeling critical of me, but trying to help. I also realized that even the best players in the class, who sound perfect by my standards get red faced if they miss a note. So I figured that being occasionally embarrassed, or mortified kind of goes with the territory for all of us, no matter what level we are on. This kind of gives me comfort and allows me to laugh at my still significant goofs. And I appreciate everybody's contribution to the learning process, regardless of the level they are on.
  • dcone
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Last Edit: 14 years 1 month ago by Administrator.

Re:The awkwardness of learning............ 14 years 1 month ago #2870

I pretty much struggle with this every week. It has gotten easier over time, but I still sometimes pause before going to class and think about blowing it off. It would be easier to do that. Part of the reason for this is that I am pretty shy and hate being put on the spot. This past week was a perfect example. I blew the lead on Amazing Grace because I somehow could not get my fingers to do what my mind knew how to. I have literally been working this song every week for several months and knew it. But, come time to play it and I got rattled because I was late coming in and I could not remember where my fingers were supposed to go and... I blew it. But here's the thing that the class and the Fretmentor have taught me: it doesn't matter if I blow a lead; it matters that I practice and try it again next time. It matters that I try to learn from my mistakes and not take them to heart and let them define me. And it works, because I have had success with leads a few times and I have gotten to a point where making mistakes does not mortify me as much anymore. And every week, I have fun with you guys. :)

Re:The awkwardness of learning............ 14 years 1 month ago #2877

You have the right attitude, Ispencerini. I had all the same problems early on, and I still do, but the freezes and the mind blanks that used to happen to me almost every Wednesday aren't near as frequent, and of course that makes it more enjoyable. Another thing that helps is, as time goes on, you'll know more of the songs so that there's less chance of getting stuch with a song you've never played before.
Expect to keep getting better and better (as long as you practice, of course)
  • palkan22
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.073 seconds