Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Bass strum

Bass strum 14 years 2 months ago #2763

From when I first started playing guitar, one of the continuing issues I have had is that sometimes I hit the wrong string for the bass strum when I am playing rhythm. Usually the problem dissipates somewhat if I go more slowly and concentrate on my hand placement, but this is sometimes difficult to remember everything when performing in the class with others. It bothers me enough that I have made practicing basic strums a part of my regular practices (I also practice more difficult strumming patterns, which oddly seem to be easier for me to do consistently). I'm wondering if anyone has had similar experiences and if you have found ways to overcome this issue.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Bass strum 14 years 2 months ago #2769

Try planting your pinky on the guitar and then do your practicing....Dave drove that into my brain and for me it was a "lifesaver". When you've done it enough times, muscle memory takes over...but having the pinky planted pretty much guarantees that you are strummuning where you want to....give it a shot...:blink:
  • Tigerpaws
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

Re:Bass strum 14 years 2 months ago #2773

Lawrence, it's good you are practicing that strum, it's the basic bluegrass rhythm strum Dave keeps preaching on. I'm with Sylvia, planting your pinky somewhere near the sound hole will help with keeping good position, but it takes discipline. I find myself going sloppy, especially on chords that have their bass notes on the lower (5th & 6th) strings. Alternating the bass is real nice when you get confident, on a G chord alternating between that low G and the B. I think planting your pinky also helps keep your strum more consistent, you will have the proper pick angle and won't "over attack" the strings. There are many different strum patterns, but this basic bluegrass strum is the one to use for our tunes.
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.064 seconds