Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Smooth transition

Smooth transition 14 years 2 months ago #2566

I really hope there is a time when I can make a perfect transition
to a lead in the group performance. Frustration abounds. I suppose the optimum word is practice, practice again, then of course, practice. Thanks Fretmentor
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Smooth transition 14 years 2 months ago #2605

It's really hard isn't it? - & you're not alone!
No matter how much time I've spent jamming with friends - it's still not the same. When someone else starts singing (not picking!) - we simply 'blend in' (after they start) - so that's easy to do. Moreover it's easy to change chords when singing- since you have the song lyrics as a cue. But when you're picking a melody and and have to start 'on cue' - it's another story. So far I messed up all my cues (big time!) but fortunately everyone is patient - so thanks! Last week we did Wildwood Flower - and for some reason - kept speeding up the tempo - in practice and 'on stage'! No matter how hard we tried - it crept up on us - and the faster we went. We weren't even paying attention to our cues - simply focused on the tempo. But we got through and had a great time and a good laugh. Thanks again!
  • ponhook_pickers

Re:Smooth transition 14 years 2 months ago #2606

I have found that for me what works is the count....if I'm supposed to come in on the 3rd count or 4th..whatever...I start counting on the last measure before my lead and then I can come in. When I'm at home I practice the leads leading into the chord....as in John Hardy....I'm supposed to come in on 2 so I start with the first strum of chord and then into the lead....try that....can't hurt :P
  • Tigerpaws
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

Re:Smooth transition 14 years 2 months ago #2614

Well, no surprise here, but the transitions are difficult for me as well. :) I have done them a couple of times pretty well and it was basically by doing it sort of in the way Silvia suggests. I used the strums as a guide and it took a fair amount of practice to get it right, but it seemed to work on Simple Gifts and I'll Fly Away. I look forward to the day when I can do this without having to practice so much.

Re:Smooth transition 14 years 2 months ago #2627

This is one area that I try to really work on because just when I think I've got it...^%#* missed it again. I like the idea of counting. I'm going to make that part of my practice routine. Thanks for that tip.
  • espian
  • Expert Boarder
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds