Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Why are we Playing Bluegrass?

Why are we Playing Bluegrass? 14 years 3 months ago #2461

I am at the class on Wednesday's, and taking lessons from Dave because of my Father. I was exposed to this music as part of my heritage, and want to pass the tradition on to my children. I have some amazing childhood memories. Grandpa is not here to share his love of Music, and I know he would want his grandchildren to love Bluegrass too. Just curious what everyone's story is.
  • lesliek
  • Expert Boarder
  • We are all important to someone.
Leslie Kay
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Why are we Playing Bluegrass? 14 years 3 months ago #2462

I'm in the Bluegrass Class because of Dave. I started taking private guitar lessons from him 2 years ago and I recall that he asked me if I liked blue grass...as I really knew NOTHING of this type of music ( :blush: ) my reply was "yeah, I guess, but I prefer it green" after his eyes rolled back into his eye sockets, he explained it was a genre of music and that he had a class on Wednesday nights...the rest is history....by the way, I do like it now:P
  • Tigerpaws
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

Re:Why are we Playing Bluegrass? 14 years 3 months ago #2464

I started taking violin lessons in May and saw an article in the newspaper about Dave's class. I followed up, joined the class and am now a FIDDLE player! I study classical music with my violin teacher... and try to make time at home to practice the songs we play in Dave's class. I have felt so welcomed in the class...being among other beginners has been great.

Fiddle music is way better than classical.....so much more fun... just don't tell my violin teacher i said so!
  • mompodell
  • Gold Boarder

Re:Why are we Playing Bluegrass? 14 years 3 months ago #2467

I started out watching The Beverly Hillbillies and the Andy Griffith shows on TV as a kid and just loved the music I was hearing. :) Later, I found both forms of blues, original American and British clone. Great stuff.B) I always aspired to learn to play but never made the leap.:unsure: After floundering through life for 20 years, I decided to go back to school and finish my degree. That proved to be a very difficult task. One evening, while struggling through homework in the next to last class before graduation, I made a commitment to get a banjo and learn to play after I graduated. After all, it couldn’t be any harder then Business Calculus, could it?:( So with my new banjo, some lessons on line and a “learn to play banjo for Idiots” book and CD, I was off and running. I thought I was doing great until I was introduced to Daves Bluegrass class. :huh: I quickly realized that learning to play correctly is equally or even more difficult then finishing collage. The homework, however, is much more fun.

There's your bio dave. B)
  • screendude
  • Gold Boarder

Re:Why are we Playing Bluegrass? 14 years 3 months ago #2471

I'm learning the banjo because it just makes me smile.
  • jim
  • Senior Boarder
  • jim bennett

Re:Why are we Playing Bluegrass? 14 years 3 months ago #2487

I grew up playing classical piano and Harpsichord. Beetles and Rock when I was in college was good and I enjoyed that too. I listened to some bluegrass musicians after college and it was pretty clear that they were pretty talented as well. The bluegrass repetoire can be fairly straight forward to pretty tough so it is great to have fun with playing with others.
  • brilind
  • Page:
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.088 seconds