Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Recording

Recording 14 years 6 months ago #2014

There was only one time that I remember, that the performances were recorded, and class members were asked to comment on the performances. Then someone objected, and Dave rolled over and prohibited recording for evermore.

I thought the recording was a good idea. I know that I sounded much differently listening to the recording, than it sounded when I was playing it. Actually it sounded better.

I would like to start a petition to try recording again. Maybe the complainer is no longer a part of the class. After all, are we not trying to be performers? Who could possibly be in that class and not want to hear how they sound.

I would love to hear other opinions.
  • lrobe50776
  • Fresh Boarder
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Recording 14 years 6 months ago #2016

My thinking is this, we are playing in front of a guy who's been playing practically his whole life. (Dave) Who could possibly be a greater critic? Someone with half of his time on a fretted instrument? A third? A handful of us have that much time playing consistently at that level. We are basically all in the same pot as students. We are here to learn, and i happen to learn from listening to my playback. It takes me out of the first person, and puts me outside, in third person. Chances are, if i don't like what i hear, quite possibly no one else will either! Play it back, compare it against the music, was the timing good? Listen to the playback with a metronome, listen for the thump on the bass note of the chords, did the chord changes happen at the proper time in the measure? Did the notes ring, or were they muted? Did another player play out of time, by speeding up, or missing their lead? It's really a good idea.
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave

Re:Recording 14 years 6 months ago #2019

I am among the ranks of the complainers. I would be horrified if a video of me playing poorly was to get onto you tube. I guess playing poorly on a audio recording wouldn't be as bad because, I might not be identifiable but I don't really want my mistakes to be forever preserved in digital format either.

I did some professional recording once upon a time and I still remember the tedious work that went into it and the pride I took in trying to get it right. Playing in class is just fun for me and I'd like to keep it that way.
  • axelhead
  • Senior Boarder

Re:Recording 14 years 6 months ago #2033

I think that as long as it is posted to the members only portion and not available for general consumption outside of our group we should all try to be recorded. I am sure that I am at least as mortified as anyone else after one of my "performances." Observing yourself I think would be very instructive and yes a bit painful but no pain no gain.
  • brilind

Re:Recording 14 years 6 months ago #2049

I originally voted against recording but I have Brett Favre’d (changed my mind) on that position. I can see how it could be real helpful. How can I know how stupid I look or how bad I’m playing if I don’t see it for myself? :huh: In contrast, I would I know how cool I look or how much better I am playing if I have nothing to reference? B) The main concern is the ever popular “You Tube”. Just why that concerns me, I’m not sure. But it does.:S
  • screendude
  • Gold Boarder

Re:Recording 14 years 6 months ago #2055

OK here we go again. I'm for the recording. It's a great learning tool. Don't get me wrong, I'm here for the fun too, but why not take advantage of an opportunity to improve. I'm for both. And you tube....I'm not to worried about anyone looking me up anytime soon.
  • espian
  • Expert Boarder
  • Page:
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.075 seconds