Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: NO TIME FOR REHEARSAL!

NO TIME FOR REHEARSAL! 14 years 8 months ago #1819

Last night's class had a totally different format! For those of you that missed it....Dave formed groups out of the class, assigned us numbers (for the order to perform) and then called group 1 to go up and play a song he picked....Yes, that's right....no practicing....he gave each group about 30 seconds to get started and that was that. Then each group swam or sank. And I LIKED IT! No, I'm not a glutton for punishment, but with this format I realized that I have to know not just the leads, but the chords that go with the songs. I have a pretty good memory so if given time to practice I can remember what chords to play as back up...but when I have to start cold turkey....I'm not good at that....so this has given me something to work on. We "performed" 3 times last night...twice without rehearsing and although I didn't play as well as I would've liked....I left feeling pretty good. But boy! Do I have work ahead of me... :S And I certainly have to learn the names of the songs! :blush:
  • Tigerpaws
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:NO TIME FOR REHEARSAL! 14 years 8 months ago #1820

Yea, that was totally different and unexpected. I thought it was great! Sylvia is right, that was definitely sink or swim. I had to hold my breath a few times. That really showed me I need to raise the bar. Mixing up the classroom agenda, in my opinion, is a great way to keep it interesting and fun. Way to go Dave!
  • espian
  • Expert Boarder

Re:NO TIME FOR REHEARSAL! 14 years 8 months ago #1827

I definitely need to practice those other tunes more. I don't mind not taking a break, but i'll happily play rhythm. But gotta know those chord changes (that means knowing it without the music)
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave

Re:NO TIME FOR REHEARSAL! 14 years 8 months ago #1829

Good attitude guys. I enjoyed it too, but only because I was lucky enough to know the two songs I wound up playing. Truthfully, I would not have been a happy camper if I'd not known the song I was assigned to play and had no opportunity to refresh my mind regarding key, chord progressions, etc. Potentially tough situation to be in and not conducive to enjoyment. Options: learn ALL of the songs as provided; accept not having fun playing songs you don't know; ??
  • JimJoyce
  • Junior Boarder

Re:NO TIME FOR REHEARSAL! 14 years 8 months ago #1831

Sorry I missed the class but I was otherwise occupied. Looking forward to giving it a go in the near future. Sounds like great experience.
  • brilind

Re:NO TIME FOR REHEARSAL! 14 years 8 months ago #1834

Brian -

We missed you in class and hope that you are feeling better after your surgery.
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 50
  • Page:
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds