Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Stronger players take the early lead?

Stronger players take the early lead? 14 years 8 months ago #1695

Dave said it in class. The first lead should go to the stronger players. Most of my groups have done it the other way around. The newer players set the speed by going first and that was the speed for the song. Maybe the more experienced players are supposed to know enough to set the cadence slower so that the newer players can keep up? Or do the early players play the song at a comfortable pace?

I'm a little confused but that's not unusual. My son is home from college and we're playing electric. So speed isn't the issue, its volume.
  • axelhead
  • Senior Boarder
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Stronger players take the early lead? 14 years 8 months ago #1696

I think getting off to a "good" start is important. I found that sometimes actually turning around and facing the other band members while counting out the tempo helps to get a feel of the song. Even moving your arms or hands may help. That little pause seems to settle the starting jitters.
  • buzzart410
  • Gold Boarder

Re:Stronger players take the early lead? 14 years 8 months ago #1716

I think the suggestion was made because it gets the group going well right from the start. It's very important starting off on the right foot. I think one of the issues this points to though is that we need to work on the transitions. The person starting doesn't have to worry about it as much so that seems to be an advantage. I know it's difficult for me to begin my break at the right time. Darn, missed it again.
  • espian
  • Expert Boarder

Re:Stronger players take the early lead? 14 years 8 months ago #1725

I haven't been shy about asking the more experienced members in my group to slow the pace down a bit so I can attempt a lead later on without totally botching it, and they have ALWAYS been accomodating. Jumping in at exactly the right moment is still a challenge, but it helps if you're going at a manageable pace.
  • palkan22
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6

Re:Stronger players take the early lead? 14 years 8 months ago #1726

Letting the stronger players take the early lead is the best way, in my opinion, to set the bar higher so that the weaker players have a standard to strive for. Letting the weaker player take the early lead usually results in the weaker player worrying more about messing the song up for the others and actually stopping to back up and repeat what they missed and totally throwing the idea of maintaining a consistant tempo out the window. The weaker player must get proper tempo technique down first by playing the backup chords for better players before they themselves try to play leads. It may take several times playing behind others in a group before you are ready to take a lead, especially if you do not practice leads between class meetings. You only get better when you play with people that are better than you and you PRACTICE.......
  • wfcjr
  • Fresh Boarder
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.075 seconds