Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: An Ending Tag

An Ending Tag 14 years 9 months ago #1644

I have a question. Dave often says we haven't figured out how to end a song yet, and i know this to be true. And some songs just don't sound right without some sort of ending tag. Slow songs like "Simple Gifts" wouldn't sound right with a G roll at the end, i've experimented with Amazing Grace on a couple of ending ideas, but how do we as a group know when to "tag it", without rehearsing it? Do you just "feel" it, use a signal of some sort? Leave it up to the banjo player? Rhythm guitar player? Mandolin?
I've often wondered this, we could rehearse it as a group before we play, but this is like rehearsing leads (you do this, i'll do this, etc). What other natural method have you players seen that works? If the rhythm guitar player decides to end it, the player may go off on a tangent and the other players would have a big weird "huh"? type of look. I guess 2 nods of the head for the tag? What do you guys think? Seems like a certain amount of rehearsal would be needed to tag it.
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:An Ending Tag 14 years 9 months ago #1660

You're right Dave. You need something to get everyones attention. Like play your break backwards or something. I know Dave has played them (tag licks). He said so. They must have been real subtle though, cause I can never pick them out. Paying too close attention to my own playing perhaps. We need to practice that because it's got to be better than lifting your leg.
  • espian
  • Expert Boarder

Re:An Ending Tag 14 years 9 months ago #1667

I'll write that one down on my note pad for when the Krugers get here. Lets face it, you're not limited to the measures in the tune, what i've seen in bluegrass is that the instrumentals could keep that tune going for awhile. I guess you look for large beads of sweat, and maybe some strange body language to be a sign.
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave

Re:An Ending Tag 14 years 9 months ago #1676

AS far as endings go, besides the agreement or premeditaded method on how to end it, it's feel. I'm a firm beliver in staying aligned with your groove with others (I am actively working on this!). That is, listenening, responding, and corresponding with others as you play. It's a very valid question though. Playing an instrument is like golf or billiards. It's not a challange between you but of you. I think playing an instrument is the purest form of having fun!
  • george
  • Gold Boarder

Re:An Ending Tag 14 years 9 months ago #1678

I'm sure groups rehearse backstage to a certain degree, depending on the song, etc. But it is best to just feel it, i guess when you get in the groove, you know it. I'm listening to the bluegrass channel on the satellite radio, to get a feel for it. Banjos and mandolins do the best tags.
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave

Re:An Ending Tag 14 years 8 months ago #1717

It took me quite a while to become aware of the the rest of the group. As a beginner it was all I could do just to concentrate on what I was playing let alone what anyone else was doing. I think as we get better and more comfortable with our own ability we'll be able to become part of the groove....and maybe end a song on the same note.
  • espian
  • Expert Boarder
  • Page:
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.071 seconds