Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Beware - The "Bennett Syndrome" is back

Beware - The "Bennett Syndrome" is back 14 years 9 months ago #1539

A reinfection of the notorious " Bennett Syndrome" was detected at the last Bluegrass class. It appears that one of the groups that I played in (selected by Dave) started to play "Nine Pound Hammer" however, 3/4 of the way through the song it was apparent that we had been playing "Will the Circle Be Unbroken". All were intent on playing the original song assigned, but autonomically "Circle" was the song that was played. Weird but true!

In browsing the forum, I have learned that there have been other examples of the phenomena. In some cases, I believe that the infectious virus has actually mutated to include other songs and the virus has been spread to other class participants.

For the medically misinformed, the "Bennett Syndrome" was originally observed at JAM in late 2008. It is named after Jim Bennett, the banjo player. While Jim was taking a lead break with his group on their assigned song, "Nine Pound Hammer", the only song he could play was "Circle". No matter how hard he tried and focused he could not get "Circle" out of his brain. After this "performance" by Jim, it was conclusive that symtoms of the syndrome could be both neurological and physical in nature. Fortunately, Jim has almost totally recuperated from the infection, but still avoids both songs whenever possible.
  • Kmando
  • User is blocked
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Beware - The "Bennett Syndrome" is back 14 years 9 months ago #1544

One could describe the simultaneous medical conditions of “Bennett Syndrome" as a medley of neurological and physical afflictions resulting in the recurring rendition of “Nine Pound Circle” and other melodies. :side:
  • screendude
  • Gold Boarder

Re:Beware - The "Bennett Syndrome" is back 14 years 9 months ago #1545

Since I had the highest fever associated with this syndrome all I can say is," I got a hammer and it hit me on the head."
  • brilind

Re:Beware - The "Bennett Syndrome" is back 14 years 9 months ago #1546

On the bright side....this virus allowed for a new song: Nine Pound Circle!
  • Tigerpaws
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

Re:Beware - The "Bennett Syndrome" is back 14 years 9 months ago #1571

I believe there is a shot you can take for that and though case studies have been less than promissing, some have benn reported to have played flawlessly for seven to ten minutes.
  • espian
  • Expert Boarder

Re:Beware - The "Bennett Syndrome" is back 14 years 9 months ago #1573

but class is over an hour!!!!!
  • Tigerpaws
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
  • Page:
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.080 seconds