Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: USING YOUR THUMB RATHER THAN A PICK

USING YOUR THUMB RATHER THAN A PICK 10 years 5 months ago #7391

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE IFB) USING YOUR THUMB RATHER THAN A PICK ?
  • reelgill
  • Fresh Boarder
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:USING YOUR THUMB RATHER THAN A PICK 10 years 5 months ago #7392

Big difference. Flatpicking the guitar requires a pick. Fingerstyle uses the fingers and even then, I teach you with picks on. Guitar players may have different points of view when flatpicking with or without picks. There are pros and cons to each method.

FM

B)
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 50

Re:USING YOUR THUMB RATHER THAN A PICK 10 years 5 months ago #7422

The rule of thumb (no pun) is thumb handles the bass strings when finger playing. When strumming, it's best to use a pick (hence the term--flatpicking), The guitar will sound brighter with the stronger attack from the pick, and i think the sound will be more uniformly consistent, a good quality if you are a rhythm player. When finger playing, the dynamics can change depending on how you attack the strings---with the fleshy part of your thumb, versus the nail, etc. To me, finger playing (without finger picks) yields a soft, warm tone, whereas the finger picks tend to make the notes sound brighter, though a guitarist with good dynamics could also replicate a soft warm tone with the finger picks. It's a preference to the player, and what song you are playing.
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.065 seconds