Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Breaking it down

Breaking it down 11 years 8 months ago #6873

You guitar players ever break the chords down to their basic component notes? Very interesting how much can be found. I would have likely (very likely) not learned how to do this without Fretmentor's lessons. There's a lot to be learned from a simple chord.
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Breaking it down 11 years 6 months ago #7056

It's cool 'cause you can build chords on those notes. Take C in the C maj scale: C,E,and G (1st, third, and fifth) make a C maj chord so, by playing an E chord inharmonic to the C is essentially an E,A, and D notes making it an E major!... then the D chord (keeping w/ the maj C scale) is D,F, and A making it a Dm! I've always been fasinated w/ music composure just don't know how to apply it. By the way, I don't think it's a good idea to play these tonal chords over the root so scratch this whole theory:)

bottom line is I know the stuff but don't know what to do with it!
  • george
  • Gold Boarder

Re:Breaking it down 11 years 6 months ago #7071

By George, you've lost me on your E major example. E major is E/G#/B. Your example has a raised 3rd, and raised 5th, so it's no longer a major chord, it has lost it's major identity. In fact, i'm not sure what this example would be. I know if you raise just the 5th, it would be augmented. Flattening the 5th makes a diminshed, Flattening the 3rd makes a minor....
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave

Re:Breaking it down 11 years 6 months ago #7076

Your making my head hurt.....:) I think I'll stick to double stops. On the fiddle, anyways....;)

I actually really love being able to go through and "break down" the chords, and figuring how they're "made up" in the first place. I also want to try and go through different melodies that I'm playing and figure what chord this not would be from, and so on and so forth. I don't quite know that I'd have the courage for that just yet, though.:)
  • God bless the USA!
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Proud to be an American! God Bless the USA!!!
The Land of the free. The home of the brave.

Leviticus 25:10 \"...proclaim liberty throughout the land and to all of the inhabitants thereof...\"

..¸•*¨¯¨*•¸....¸•*¨¯¨*•¸God Bless
((....*•-•*¸*¸•*•-•*...))America
..*•.,¸_¸,.•´*.¸_¸,.•´Land that I love......
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds