Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Scale Question for Dave

Scale Question for Dave 15 years 1 month ago #638

Dave, (i have a few questions here) for scales that are diagrammed in box diagrams on the fretboard, (unlike single-string scales that progress up the neck)are these scales numbered for their root shape number? I.E.--E major shape 1, shape 2, etc. and so-on up to 5 for the 5 root shapes. 2) do the root shapes identify the position on the fretboard a tune is played in? I've heard other guitarists describe playing in the 3rd position, 1st position, etc. i've always wondered what defined a numbered position on the guitar, and root shape numbers seem to make sense, although some tunes could involve multiple patterns i suppose. Also, i saw an E major scale TAB, and they left out the open 6th string on the TAB. I would assume it would be proper to play the root, was it incorrect to leave it out of the TAB? The TAB started on the 6th string, 2nd fret (F#) was this a sloppy assumption on the tabber? Assuming the interval formula R-2-2-1-2-2-2-1, i would start at the open 6th string for E major.
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.060 seconds