Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Never string your guitar before bed

Never string your guitar before bed 14 years 2 months ago #2374

My Martin started sounding dull, i guess it should, the strings are 7 months old! It kept it's tune, but it lacked depth, so it was over due.
I had a weird dream, that eventually woke me up. I was detoured on my way home from class due to construction. It was a narrow dirt road, which was jammed with cars. I got out of my truck, and was surrounded by kids with kiddie guitars. I was given one to play, but couldn't because the strings were loose. One kid came up to me, and he had a Martin headstock in each hand! I could clearly see the CF Martin logo in gold.
When i got back home, i took my guitar from the back seat (no case) and was shocked to see the headstock was missing! Decapitated clean at the nut. What a horror! This woke me up thankfully.
Lessons learned: 1) stay out of unfamiliar neighborhoods 2) keep your guitar within eyeshot lest it get decapitated 3) guitars sound better with new strings 4) don't re-string one before you go to bed!
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Never string your guitar before bed 14 years 2 months ago #2388

That's an interesting and scary dream. But it brings up a couple of questions for me. Is there a rule for when one should re-string? I think my guitar needs re-stringing now, but not because I have noticed much change in tone or anything, but just because it's been a good while since I got the guitar. Maybe that's the rule. Also, changing the strings seems a little intimidating because I have not done it before. I would appreciate any inside hints on how to do it right. :)

Re:Never string your guitar before bed 14 years 2 months ago #2389

• edbird
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

Re:Never string your guitar before bed 14 years 2 months ago #2393

Great instructional links from Taylor. Thanks for providing them.
  • screendude
  • Gold Boarder

Re:Never string your guitar before bed 14 years 2 months ago #2400

I am a fountain of trivia. According to my family, anyway. They all refuse to play Trivial Pursuit with me....

I have to do a string change this weekend on my Guild. Yesterday I restrung my son's SG electric and my other son's bass guitar which also needed setup adjustments.... My work is never done...first I have to "restring" a new reel for tomorrow's fishing quest...

I did take my own bass guitar to a luthier/tech today for new pickup installation though. I know my limits...
  • edbird
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

Re:Never string your guitar before bed 14 years 2 months ago #2403

Everyone has their favorite time to change strings. They held their tune, but the overall intonation sounded flat. They lost their sustain, and they were dull. It was more out of laziness that i didn't replace them sooner. I think every 3 months would be good, but it depends on how often and hard you play.
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds