Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Learning music - is it a "natural" talent?

Learning music - is it a "natural" talent? 15 years 6 months ago #186

I have an aquaintance that recently joined a band. He shared with me that he knew half of the music the band performed. He indicated he spent some time over a couple of weekends and learned the rest of the music.

This is amazing to me. I have been messing around with a guitar for a few years now and taking lessons for the past year. I can still barely play one song - much less learn 30 or so.

How does this happen? Is it a tallent issue? Is there just a point when music comes more natural? It does seem that some people have a natural talent.

Any advice?
  • Brandon
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Learning music - is it a "natural" talent? 15 years 6 months ago #187

Of course it's a natural talent! It's a gift from God and unfortunately I was eating cookies the day he was passing it out and missed receiving it. However, I believe it can be learned. It just takes a lot of work and dedication. I see it in my house all the time....I work for hours trying to get a song down.....then class day my "hubby" picks up the guitar 5 minutes before we leave and plays the tune 100 times better than I'll ever play it, on his first try! But life is semi-fair and in other issues I got the better deal....but in my next life I will be in the musical talent line..:lol:
  • Tigerpaws
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

Re:Learning music - is it a "natural" talent? 15 years 6 months ago #193

Natural talent IS a gift. Some people have it, most don't. For those of us that don't, we can overcome lack of natural talent through hard work and determination. I have no natural talent, but some day I WILL be a competant musician.
  • pinky57
  • Gold Boarder

Re:Learning music - is it a "natural" talent? 15 years 5 months ago #310

I think there are somethings one is born with that make playing easier but it's mainly constant study and frequent trips to library
  • abc4321

Re:Learning music - is it a "natural" talent? 15 years 5 months ago #333

I think after playing awhile you do learn to hear the chord changes..and we all know the 1, 4 and 5 chords of each key....
so you really can play lots os songs with other people..you may not be able to play a break but you can play the tune..I am trying to practice my chord changes..and play along with DVD's at home..
  • banjochick
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.091 seconds