Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: How do you practice/play?

How do you practice/play? 12 years 5 months ago #6072

I've replace the word "practice" with "play".... but wonder how other fiddlers spend their time practicing their instrument...scales? songs? For how long? Any other tips are welcome!
  • mompodell
  • Gold Boarder
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:How do you practice/play? 12 years 5 months ago #6075

I pretty much "play" the songs assigned to me by my fiddle instructor ... until I feel an improvement. Then I "play" the songs for FM class and see if I can do them on the fiddle...and then I play songs for fun...like the LSU fight song...When the Saints go Marching in...and some of the songs from church....I find playing the fiddle is a lot easier than the guitar and mandolin because I can actually hear the tune...(although maybe a little off key :dry: ) I only do the scales if my fingers are just not landing where they should... :S . Length of my "practice" varies based on what else I have to do and how much my back hurts...(playing the fiddle really makes my back ache...I haven't learned how to relax yet with this instrument! :blink: )
  • Tigerpaws
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

Re:How do you practice/play? 12 years 5 months ago #6078

Tigerpaws.....Do you practice sitting or standing? Is that what's making your back ache? I usually play standing up...so when I get to class, and have to sit down, I'm all mixed up. (that's my excuse.....um, I mean my story..and I'm sticking to it)
  • mompodell
  • Gold Boarder

Re:How do you practice/play? 12 years 5 months ago #6080

so I guess I don't have an excuse at all as I practice/play standing up!!!! :ohmy:
  • Tigerpaws
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

Re:How do you practice/play? 12 years 5 months ago #6096

I usually practice sitting down, mostly because it's more comfortable, but that's just my prefrence. It's really better to play songs at home the way you will perform them/play them in a group(standing up if you'll be standing up, sitting down if you'll be sitting down). It kind of helps to be more comfortable and able to focus on the music. (or at least, that's what I think;))

Another thing is that while it's good to keep your violin in it's case if you don't have a place for it where it can be out and be safe, if you do, it's good to keep it out, like in a holder or stand. That way if you're walking by and see it there you might get the urge to pick it up and practice. And even if it's just for a few minutes, 15 minutes 4 or 5 times a day adds up to an hour of practice/play! Besides, it can also make it a little more enjoyable, since you don't have make yourself practice. It makes it what it should be; play time in stead of chore time.
  • God bless the USA!
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Proud to be an American! God Bless the USA!!!
The Land of the free. The home of the brave.

Leviticus 25:10 \"...proclaim liberty throughout the land and to all of the inhabitants thereof...\"

..¸•*¨¯¨*•¸....¸•*¨¯¨*•¸God Bless
((....*•-•*¸*¸•*•-•*...))America
..*•.,¸_¸,.•´*.¸_¸,.•´Land that I love......
Last Edit: 12 years 5 months ago by God bless the USA!.

Re:How do you practice/play? 12 years 5 months ago #6120

GBless... I agree with you wholeheartedly about having the fiddle out in the open. It calls to me to come and "play"!
  • mompodell
  • Gold Boarder
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds