Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Old Joe Clark - Strikes Again

Old Joe Clark - Strikes Again 12 years 7 months ago #5914

Well maybe Fretmentor has identified the missing link. Anyway if you were in class last Wed. you might remember a comment by Fretmentor addressed to the greater banjo community (I think he was being kind) where he mentioned that a common mistake with the banjo break is that typically the 1st 2 notes of the break area really part of an intro and need to come in on the 4th beat of the previous measure. If not the break starts out 1 beat off and, well you know the rest.

I will put the advice to the test. I have reviewed my break to make sure xtra notes have not crept in and Im convinced the break is OK but it never souds right when I paly it in class. As a matter of fact I have developed a hatred for the song. It's been doing a number on me for years.

I hope this is the missing link.
  • martinezg
  • Expert Boarder
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Old Joe Clark - Strikes Again 12 years 7 months ago #5915

Sing aloud the actual melody, over and over until you really get it in your bones. Then tap out the banjo part RHYTHM with your hands (like on a bongo) AS you sing. SLOWLY if necessary. You'll get it, I know it.
  • MMandy

Re:Old Joe Clark - Strikes Again 12 years 7 months ago #5929

Okay, now you got me pair a noid. Old Joe Clark is scary. Reminds me of one of those new slasher movies...like Texas Chainsaw Massacre or Zombieland. Gotta get that pick-up note right.
  • buzzart410
  • Gold Boarder

Re:Old Joe Clark - Strikes Again 12 years 7 months ago #5948

I think mmandy has it right. You really have to have the song ingrained sometimes to get the timing just right. Especially Old Joe Clark, which you'll find out, is a fun song to play.
  • espian
  • Expert Boarder

Re:Old Joe Clark - Strikes Again 12 years 7 months ago #5965

I was doing pretty well with Old Joe Clark, but some how I got a brain cramp and lost it. now I can't get it back for nothing. sooooo, I've moved on to other stuff. once and a while I try to pick it up again, but it's just not happining. It's one of my favorites tooo:S
  • screendude
  • Gold Boarder
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.077 seconds