Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Correcting on the fly

Correcting on the fly 13 years 1 week ago #5098

Those who attended this last weeks class may have noticed FM provide advice on how to correct my playing of OJC; he basically said I was adding x-tra notes to the 1st measure and the melody was ahead of the rythm from that point on. After several measures I pretty much self destroyed.
I really wished I could correct on the fly but it's near impossible. When I got home I was going to look at the tab but I just tapped my feet to a slow count and (think) I found the issue FM was pointing to.
Moral of the story; when you practice at home, try to play against a rythm sound file, so that the lead fits the measure. It's really easy to add and subtract notes and not be conscious of it if you practice in a vacuum.
Hopefully I can correct that song because I have played it wrong for years and did not know why till last night.
  • martinezg
  • Expert Boarder
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Correcting on the fly 13 years 1 week ago #5100

Martinezg....don't beat yourself over this.....most people can not correct errors "on the fly"....I know...I taught long enough....practice is what makes perfect and helps us improve....your brain was still in the "wrong" mode when you were told what you were supposed to be doing....most of us would've reacted just as you did...(self-destructing)...and there's still next week. :lol:
  • Tigerpaws
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

Re:Correcting on the fly 13 years 1 week ago #5102

I had quite the same experience last night playing "Old Joe Clark"
I learned it playing the old method, but now FM wants it played in the newer version on tabledit. Well that totally comfused me to the point that I could not play it at all when it was my turn to take the lead. I had no problem playing it the old way, but concentrating on the few one or two new measures, that confused me. I cannot correct on the fly, for that I need a week at least or two.
  • sparks
  • Expert Boarder

Re:Correcting on the fly 13 years 1 week ago #5117

Good Post!
I think we all have trouble with this one. One of the hard parts, for me anyway, is to "tune in" to where everyone else is playing. You are really forced to listen to what's going on around you. And then try to synchronize again. We'll probably have to do this more than we like but to be able to recover quickly can make those mistakes a lot more tolerable. I think I'll keep practicing.
  • espian
  • Expert Boarder
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.073 seconds