Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Don't Forget to Check the Timing

Don't Forget to Check the Timing 13 years 2 months ago #4800

Been spending so much time learning the lead break to the new songs that I've ignored an important aspect of my playing. I got a hint when in the last class I struggled to keep time (hiding in the circle no less).
So, I got out the metronome this week and checked myself at various speeds just playing straight forward rolls with some easy chord changes. When I started I could not play 2 measures without speeding up and finishing the roll 1 note ahead of the last beat, (in 2 measures).
I challenge everyone reading this to reply with their results.

How many measures of straight 8 note rolls can you play without gaining or loosing a note?
No cheating!
  • martinezg
  • Expert Boarder
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Don't Forget to Check the Timing 13 years 2 months ago #4806

I havn,t used the metrnome in a while so I gave it a go.It has become painfully obvious that I will need to break out this little jewell on a more regular basis.Will get back to you on my timing.
  • timgivens
  • Senior Boarder

Re:Don't Forget to Check the Timing 13 years 2 months ago #4807

I've been looking for one of those old wood sided, pyramid shaped metronomes that are spring wound. I just like them.. and of course on E-Bay there is quite a few followers and collectors. I will get one some day.
  • buzzart410
  • Gold Boarder

Re:Don't Forget to Check the Timing 13 years 2 months ago #4820

Martinezg - Well, you have issued a big challenge (experiment) to the banjo players. I guess there are just too many things that have to go on at the same time with the banjo. Really, I guess everyone needs to keep the metro on during practice with any instrument. Time to dust the cobwebs off my metro!
  • Kmando
  • User is blocked

Re:Don't Forget to Check the Timing 13 years 2 months ago #4846

The wood-type metros sort of imitate the 'ol head nod and seem to produce results through it's visual movement don't ya think? I never had a timing problem w/ th 6-string but I did w/ elect bass in a traveling classic rock band early 80's. As a kid in the early 70's I, my parents and my other 3 sibs played all the time at home. We had friends over on Fri. nites' cook out and played 'till midnite:cheer: ... seems a lot of mechanics were learned early or can be learned easily. ... I think through laughter... a lot! :kiss: :woohoo: :cheer: :laugh: :) :blush: B)
  • george
  • Gold Boarder
Last Edit: 13 years 2 months ago by george.

Re:Don't Forget to Check the Timing 13 years 1 month ago #4889

The metronome is a humbling device...

I've had it out all weekend working on my timing on basic stuff I thought I had down pretty well. Time to slow down and get back to basics. :(
  • ckinzel
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds