Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: My Banjo Mute Came in Handy This Weekend

My Banjo Mute Came in Handy This Weekend 13 years 4 months ago #4540

I have a banjo mute that has been in a drawer since I bought it 3 years ago. With company at the house this Thanksgiving holiday, I dug out the mute from the drawer and used it to sneak a little practice practice on the back porch before the company woke up. It worked, or at least I think it worked, as nobody bothered me during practice. I know there are many other ways to keep the volume down, but the mute sure came in handy this last week.

As a point of interest, I think that after getting somewhat used to the muted sound of the banjo, I think I can hear my mistakes better with the mute than without it. I dont know the reason, it might be that since the volume is pretty low one listens more intently to all of the notes and the bad ones stand out more or who knows. Anyway, it's my 1st time using a mute for any significant amount of time and thought the experience was interesting. Any thoughts?
  • martinezg
  • Expert Boarder
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:My Banjo Mute Came in Handy This Weekend 13 years 4 months ago #4541

I have had the same observation. It seems like the difference in picking strength is magnified with the mute. Always, resist the ultimate mute............a 9 lb hammer.
  • brilind

Re:My Banjo Mute Came in Handy This Weekend 13 years 4 months ago #4557

I have a mute also, it is an excellent tool.I tend to use it mostly while traveling so as not to disturb other guests in the hotel. I used to use it all the time, but as I have become less self-conscience of my playing I have stopped using it so much. Thanks FM! B)
  • screendude
  • Gold Boarder

Re:My Banjo Mute Came in Handy This Weekend 13 years 4 months ago #4569

One major advantage of playing the banjo is that it in and of itself discourages house guests. The mute will seriously diminish the effectiveness of the banjo as guest repellent.
  • ckinzel
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.078 seconds