Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Guitar to banjo switch

Guitar to banjo switch 13 years 11 months ago #3238

To all of you who have done this before the question is, how difficult would it be to go from guitar playing to banjo playing? Does the left hand have to learn how to play cords all over again? Being a novice at playing guitar should I master that first or would it make no difference?
  • TonyM
  • Fresh Boarder
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Guitar to banjo switch 13 years 11 months ago #3241

I don't know about the banjo but I've gone from guitar to mandolin....also as a novice....I find that for me learning 2 instruments makes it easier as I tend to compare everything I do and then I tend to understand....don't ask me to explain that....Now I've added the "fiddle"...the one big problem I encounter is that I tend to get the leads "confused"...forget which lead goes with which instrument...but this also makes me work harder at "listening" and improvising ...:huh:
  • Tigerpaws
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

Re:Guitar to banjo switch 13 years 11 months ago #3242

TonyM -

Guitar and banjo are different regarding chord structure but you should not let that affect your desire to learn the instrument. There are benefits to playing both (especially if you want to learn finger style guitar). I will be happy to discuss the matter with you in greater detail.

FYI ... I started learning guitar only one year after playing banjo and never regretted it.

Good luck.

Fretmentor
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 50

Re:Guitar to banjo switch 13 years 11 months ago #3251

As a beginning Banjo player I find that this has peaked an interest in other insruments. I have been given a Dulcimer and love the sound of the instrument. I also have a great interest in the Fiddle, and plan to pursue that as well. Not necessarily right now but definitely soon.
  • lesliek
  • Expert Boarder
  • We are all important to someone.
Leslie Kay

Re:Guitar to banjo switch 13 years 10 months ago #3309

I think it's a great idea to become familiar with other instruments.I love the banjo but I decided to take guitar lessons last year so that I could recognize some of the more common chords and be able to fit in the banjo playing a bit better.
  • timgivens
  • Senior Boarder

Re:Guitar to banjo switch 13 years 10 months ago #3315

oh no.. Have I lost my place as "fiddlechick" in class?
  • mompodell
  • Gold Boarder
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds