Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Nashcamp! (and instructional "camp" forums)

Nashcamp! (and instructional "camp" forums) 15 years 5 months ago #284

I Recently attended the Nashcamp Fall Banjo Retreat (this year held in Joelton, Tennessee). It was three days of nothin' but banjo, with instruction by Sonny Osborne, Bill Evans, JD Crowe, Alan Munde, Charlie Cushman and Ned Luberecki. It was phenomenal to have all of this great talent in one location, and created an environment which increases one's understanding and performance to a new level. Has anybody else attended other camps?
  • Bocanjo
  • Fresh Boarder
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Nashcamp! (and instructional "camp" forums) 15 years 5 months ago #287

What did you learn? Did they teach all levels?
Kaufman Camp in TN is great.instruction in all the instuments..not just banjo.
Great experience..great people !:)
  • banjochick

Re:Nashcamp! (and instructional "camp" forums) 15 years 5 months ago #290

As the name implies, the particular camp I attended was focused solely on Banjo, but other Nashcamp sessions cover (1) bluegrass and (2) songwriting. Check out their website at www.nashcamp.com (I'm not a sponsor, but "a happy camper").

The camp instructors are all top notch, and bring their expertise to the total experience. For example, one of the regulars, Bill Evans, is a key educator and is the author of the book "Banjo for Dummies". Prior to attending the program, campers complete a "self-assessment" questionnaire which helps determine your experience level. The campers are separated into 4 levels. During the scope of the program, all camp groups had sessions with each of the instructors.

Sessions covered ranged from back-up techniques to individual playing styles (extremely cool to have "JD" in a session explaining and displaying his own playing style). Of course, there was plenty of time set aside (and most of the evenings) to jam with others. Parental (counselor) supervision was available, as were other musicians covering Bass, Guitar and Fiddle.

This year was my second time at Nashcamp, and I believe that you get the most out of it when you put the most into it. In other words, "pick up your ax and pick" when attending these types of workshops -- Active learning is the best way to go!
  • Bocanjo
  • Fresh Boarder
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.072 seconds