Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: What has the Banjo brought to your life?

What has the Banjo brought to your life? 14 years 2 weeks ago #2751

I have many hobbies. I love to cook, garden, and sew. As a child I played the Flute in school band. Playing meant so much to me. It was not easy for my family to afford the instrument. It was very special for me to have that instrument, and I still have it today. Buying my Banjo was a big decision. It is an important part of my life, and I have made a commitment to taking classes with Dave, and coming to class weekly. It has added something to my life. I have met new people, and feel a sense of pride each time I learn something new. Kind of like being a kid again and it has caused my children to talk more about Mommy's music and her Banjo. The Banjo is so lighthearted, and fun it helps drain life's stresses away. My banjo has added quite alot to my life. What about yours?
  • lesliek
  • Expert Boarder
  • We are all important to someone.
Leslie Kay
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:What has the Banjo brought to your life? 14 years 2 weeks ago #2754

Well I don't have a banjo....I'm planning on winning the one at the Kruger Brother's workshop :laugh: but I did get Sam one....and what it has brought to me is closeness to my dog who comes running and hides behind me each time Sam practices...thank God it's not too often...(sorry Dave :evil:)
  • Tigerpaws
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Last Edit: 14 years 2 weeks ago by Tigerpaws. Reason: typo

Re:What has the Banjo brought to your life? 14 years 1 week ago #2767

Correction Tigerpaws! You do have a banjo - a banjo mandolin!

I've had various versions of banjos since I was 16 years old. Some of the early ones were real junk (Kays, etc) but were playable. In recent years my banjo purchases have gotten much better ending with a new Stelling.

The banjo is a great instrument, but one of the biggest drawbacks for me is the weight. If I have to carry one around too long, I know that arm is going to grow significantly longer than the other. You have to be careful even taking it out of the rack because if you lift it just a little the wrong way you'll need a chiropractic adjustment. Thank god for the mandolin!

The other drawback is the volume. Volume is great, but in a small room while practicing the volume, the high notes and the twang will drive ya to drink (as if we need an excuse). After experimenting with various mutes - several I made out of wood, some I ordered and one I bought from Steve Hexel - I found out they were either difficult to put on and take off;they muted too much or too little or they fell off while I was playing. So I went back to the technology of the 1960s (good for open back banjos), took the resonator off and stuffed two white terry cloth towels in the pot and put the resonator back. This significantly reduces the volume and muffles the twangy high notes. Maybe not good for a performance but great for practicing in small room.
  • Kmando
  • User is blocked

Re:What has the Banjo brought to your life? 14 years 1 week ago #2768

That's right! I have "Manjo"...but I consider him more of a mandolin than a banjo...sure is cute though! and light...or lighter than Sam's real thing...(side by side they look like big brother and little brother :P )
  • Tigerpaws
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

Re:What has the Banjo brought to your life? 14 years 1 week ago #2778

Has anyone seen the “Pawn Stars” show on the History Channel? Last week some one brought in a Gibson banjo ukulele from the 20's. It had the original calf skin head. They bought it and had a local luthier repair it. It was really cool.
  • screendude
  • Gold Boarder
Last Edit: 14 years 1 week ago by screendude.

Re:What has the Banjo brought to your life? 14 years 1 week ago #2789

I did not see the repair of the instrument but did see it come in and it has a number of signatures on it from way back. It was very interesting. I never understand how some of the people on that show let go of such interesting family history. I want to give something to my kids from the past. Too many kids don't seem to know where they come from.
  • lesliek
  • Expert Boarder
  • We are all important to someone.
Leslie Kay
  • Page:
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.080 seconds