Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Banjo Strings

Banjo Strings 14 years 6 months ago #2001

All you banjo players, which brand strings do you use?
What guage do you like....Where do you buy them to get the best deal?
  • dstone
  • Fresh Boarder
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Banjo Strings 14 years 5 months ago #2004

I'm no expert but I have experimented some and for my talent level I use the D'adderio J60 light strings. Dave will suggest that you order them from First Quality and at $2.50 a pack, you will not find a better price. You might want to order 2 or 3. Remember to use the discount code.
  • screendude
  • Gold Boarder

Re:Banjo Strings 14 years 5 months ago #2005

I use ernie ball bronze alloy strings. guages 10-13-15-24-10 I like them.
  • jim
  • Senior Boarder
  • jim bennett

Re:Banjo Strings 14 years 5 months ago #2007

American Made Cryogenic Strings. The gauge depends alot on the banjo and how it is setup but I like medium light (like a jd crowe set).
  • brilind

Re:Banjo Strings 14 years 4 months ago #2191

Hey All...I've spent a lot of time sifting through different sets for my sullivan festival, until i found the correct approach.

In the "masters of the five string banjo" the writers collected data on all 50 profiled players. The highest proportion played GHS strings, and about a 1/3 played their own strings (obviously right??)

I play the GHS almost mediums b/c the vamb is crisp like mediums, yet the fingering is smooth like light strings. I am sold on them!

Happy Picking!
  • capttboz
  • Fresh Boarder

Re:Banjo Strings 14 years 4 months ago #2222

All the strings I have tried except for the Amnerican Made Cryogenic strings loose their brilliance after a few weeks or less. Since they are unique and have only been made for about 5 years or so you won't see them listed in the Banjo Masters Book. If you check out their website you will see lots of testimonials from well known players and their favorite sizes. When I had a festival I liked 9 1/2, 11, 12, 20 and 9 1/2 or 10, 22, 12 1/2, 20 w and 10. They seem to be just fine for my Stelling Also. The cryogenic treatment just takes away the weak spots on the string which causes string fatique and lack of purity over time.
  • brilind
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.078 seconds