Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Tuning The Banjo Head

Re:Tuning The Banjo Head 14 years 3 weeks ago #2645

I believe that the Festival comes with a 5/8 bridge so that pretty much eliminates using a shorter bridge. I think you may be OK if the adjustment is not that much with a small cooridantor rod adjustment. Stelling banjo works describes how to do it on their setup section. You must be careful not to get the rim out of round or nee too much adjustment as the usual buzz may occur.
  • brilind
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Tuning The Banjo Head 14 years 3 weeks ago #2669

I have read some stuff on line about adjusting the truss rod to lower the string action, but I have no personal experience with that. I have however replaced the bridge with a lower one, and was very happy with that. If the bridge is 5/8 already as Brian suggests, then the feet can be lightly sanded to further reduce the height. I have seen instructions on line for that procedure also. I would suggest purchasing a second 5/8 bridge so you can always return to the original if you are not satisfied with the modification.
  • screendude
  • Gold Boarder

Re:Tuning The Banjo Head 13 years 11 months ago #2890

I use the Drum Dial and set my banjo head tension to 92 on one of my banjos, and 94 on the other banjo. No matter how much I try to tap tune, they seem to sound like they are tuned to "G" when I check it on the 1st string.
  • n2dui

Re:Tuning The Banjo Head 13 years 11 months ago #2891

can anyone bring a drum dial to class to check out the tension?
  • buzzart410
  • Gold Boarder

Re:Tuning The Banjo Head 13 years 11 months ago #2915

I have a drum dial but hardly take it out of the box. Everything seems to be 92 or 93. Maybe I missed something but it seems like if the banjo is rattley it needs tightening and if it chokes off the 4th string it's too tight.

Everyone wants to have a gauge when I think it just takes practice and an ear. Just went through both of my banjos this weekend and I think they are pretty good. See what you think of my Stelling at class.
  • brilind
Last Edit: 13 years 11 months ago by brilind.
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.077 seconds