Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Fretmentor's lectures

Fretmentor's lectures 12 years 10 months ago #5549

I really appreciated Fretmentor's technical lecture on capo use last night. I find these little nuggets of knowledge very useful. This is not a critique, but Sometimes the class is alittle unbalanced in that we play more, and get tech less. I realize alot of the tech is embedded in the actual playing,like timing, rhythm, when to end a tune, etc. But getting the actual mechanics of a tune and the "how" and "why" we do things is extremely useful.
I've been around some worship bands, and i've been surprised by the lack of knowledge when i ask the acoustic player why he is capo'ed so far up the neck, and playing key of G chords. Most of them simply say it sounds better that way, which seems to be a half answer to me. I would expect a technical answer like: "i capo 2 1/2 steps sharp to match the key of the keyboard player" Or something like that. You get my drift.
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Fretmentor's lectures 12 years 9 months ago #5560

I'm sorry I missed the capo discussion. It sounded very informative.

I'm actually working on a song right now that is capo'd to the fourth fret - despite the fact that all of the tablature I've seen shows the song in a whole other key and played open. It's my understanding that someone apparently transposed the song (poorly as it turns out)to avoid difficult or unfamiliar chords rather than just using a capo!

Re:Fretmentor's lectures 12 years 9 months ago #5562

I think you're right. Using your example, if a song is written in G, and i need to play 2 tones sharp in B for whatever reason, the 1/4/5 in B is B, E, F#. F# is a barre chord, and for me B is a stretch. And the 2/3/6 in this key are all sharps, (C#,D#,G#) which will be barre chords most likely. B right off the bat for this beginner is a no-go. It's alot easier to capo 2 tones, rather than learn complex fingerings.
2 or 2 1/2 tones with a capo may indicate the player's lack of knowledge on the complex fingerings, especially in those sharp keys. Of course, if the band leader tells you "2 tones sharp", and you learned the tune in a certain key, you may not have a choice, unless you really know the fretboard and can shift on the fly.
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave

Re:Fretmentor's lectures 12 years 9 months ago #5640

Don't even get me started on barre chords. I'm working on a great song right now - it only has 4 chords but one is a barre chord ( a B minor) and I still get hung up on the chord change and picking a clean base note on the 5th string. I'm torn between using the capo to find an easier chord or just buckling down and mastering the chord. I'm taking the tougher road - but it's frustrating!!:angry:

Re:Fretmentor's lectures 12 years 9 months ago #5650

I don't use a capo. But I listen to FM in class........(yawn)
I know I'm gonna be punished for this!!!!!
;)
  • mompodell
  • Gold Boarder

Re:Fretmentor's lectures 12 years 9 months ago #5651

run away!!
  • buzzart410
  • Gold Boarder
  • Page:
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds