Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: How to remember and construct the Circle of 5ths

How to remember and construct the Circle of 5ths 13 years 10 months ago #3254

Many of you are familiar with the Circle of 5ths or Circle of Keys. I always had a problem constructing the circle from memory. I recently came across a nice discussion on a piano website that used two phrases to help remember the letters around the circle.

When constructing the Circle place C at the top for C Major. The order of the notes going to the right (sharp side) is F-C-G-D-A-E-B (the F goes to the left of the C at the top of the circle).

To help remember the order memorize the phrase Father Charles Goes Down and ends battle (F-C-G-D-A-E-B).

On the Left side (flat)the The order of the notes is the same pharase only recited backwards (Battle Ends down goes Charles father (B-E-A-D-G-C-F).

At the bottom of the Cicle follow through and right the equivalent flat to the sharps stated.

What's kind of neat is that both sentances make gramatical sense. You can memorize it pretty easitly if you visualize a priest piolting an airplane.

Play with it and you will see how it works. I think this is quite cool. It is also easier to remember than explain
  • brilind
Last Edit: 13 years 10 months ago by brilind.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:How to remember and construct the Circle of 5ths 13 years 10 months ago #3255

Brilind I too have a method and a much easier one to remember....but being that this is a family oriented site...I can't share it with the class :evil: However it WORKS for both Hogpaws and me.... :P
  • Tigerpaws
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

Re:How to remember and construct the Circle of 5ths 13 years 10 months ago #3261

I guess I was too cryptic so I have edited my explaination. Take another look. Tigerpaws, I can't imagine what you are referring to but you do have my curiosity going.
  • brilind

Re:How to remember and construct the Circle of 5ths 13 years 10 months ago #3275

I will try this again. What is cool about this phrase to remember the circle of fifths is not that it makes sense going forwards but that it also makes gramatical sense going backwards.

Father Charles Goes Down And Ends Battle

Battle Ends And Down Goes Charles Father

To Construct the circle on the Flat side you have to know the notes backwards.
  • brilind
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.069 seconds