Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Playing too fast

Playing too fast 13 years 10 months ago #3247

I had a real lesson handed to me last week after our group finished performing. Fretmentor asked me to play lead to his blazing fast rythmn which, of course was making a point to me. I had no idea I was playing the song too fast. I thought I made good eye contact, kept good rythmn and timing and handled the lead fairly well. I would prefer that someone else take the top! I'll learn something in the process like how to blend better because I was obviously in my own world.:laugh:
  • george
  • Gold Boarder
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Playing too fast 13 years 10 months ago #3250

But your world is a lot of fun.....I have a ball watching you trying to get everyone in your group to speed up or slow down...Fretmentor hasn't been the only one to go too fast for you....think back on Sparks....that was a riot...and that's why I keep going back....we never know what's going to take place in those dreaded little groups... :evil:
  • Tigerpaws
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

Re:Playing too fast 13 years 10 months ago #3280

I also learned a lesson last night, I was playing boil the cabbage by myself, when fretmentor picked up the lead, so I leiserly played the chords. Then all of a sudden fretmentor looked at me to pick up the lead, I was shocked and could not get into it. So from now on I will not relax and play the chords only, but must be aware of anything like instantly to take the lead on a moments notice. Also playing fly away, I cautioned myself to not play to fast and loud, that is what fretmentor has being telling me for weeks.
  • sparks
  • Expert Boarder

Re:Playing too fast 13 years 10 months ago #3281

Sparks, I think you did great last night. Especially before class when you were warming up before most people had arrived....you were doing great!!!! Keep it up!!!! :)
  • Tigerpaws
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

Re:Playing too fast 13 years 9 months ago #3410

I recently visited my family in Ill., all musicians. My three siblings and Mom (Dad's watching from above[he played mandolin and guitar]) are musicians, as well as my sisters' son and daughter. My older bro John (by 11 mos., 1 wk) and I are both into bluegrass. We did a lot of pick'n together that weekend getting ready for a grand reunion in August. Most of the songs we're practic'n on are 70's rock n roll because my little bro's got it all layed out for us but, I'm really excited 'bout the bluegrass. John's really fast with the right hand and kept me pushing myself on right-hand technique. He stressed something that coincides with Fretmentor... play verry slowly perfectly before you play faster and concentrate on right-hand up and down movement. Always play the down beat with a down pick stroke.
  • george
  • Gold Boarder

Re:Playing too fast 13 years 9 months ago #3413

"Always play the down beat with a down pick stroke"

George, i was alittle confused, we're playing with picks, how else could we play the down beat? Would this involve a technique with finger/plectrum picking mixed?
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave
  • Page:
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds