Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: any suggestions

Re:any suggestions 14 years 1 month ago #2743

Some tunes, like Amazing Grace, you can play the melody while some of your fingers are chording, so like Steve said, just leave 1 finger available for fretting those melody parts. Amazing Grace has some open strings, which makes it easier. I think the technical term for this is keeping your hand "in position", which really is the proper way to play, but i get lazy, and wander out of position. If you look at the way the tune is constructed, the melody line does allow your hand to stay in position thru the progression, it falls comfortably under your hand for the most part. The tune stays in that G scale box, which makes it easy to learn. Some tunes, like Soldier's Joy, seem to require more out of position playing. Or perhaps i need to find the proper pivot finger to train my hand stay in position. I think it's the latter!
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:any suggestions 14 years 1 month ago #2745

Thanks Gogogal. This has been one of the most thought provoking topics ever! I certainly feel your frustration ie. combining rhythmn/ lead. Fretmentor mentions that rhythmn is easier than lead. He's good advice. I like leads. The're easier once I learn 'em. Sylvia mentions practice. Jim and Steve are advocates of listening to the song, knowing the song. That in turn helps knowing if a finger can stay (in a chord change). Henry really sums it up... get the chord structure down first.

Henry, you may want to get a patent on your post. It's packed w/ good stuff.
  • george
  • Gold Boarder
Last Edit: 13 years 11 months ago by Administrator. Reason: reference

Re:any suggestions 13 years 11 months ago #3101

Check out "Basic Country Flatpicking" by Dix Bruce. It's available from many web retailers.

Here is a sampling of the DVD:

Dix is an excellent teacher.
  • jwing
  • Fresh Boarder

Re:any suggestions 13 years 11 months ago #3106

I see this sparked some interest.....thanks for all the good advice. Yes, I do find it's a lot easier when hearing the tune in my head, or singing it....but, still, I think for me it's feeling like I "can't" do 2 things at once, and feeling unsure and not wanting to make a mistake. Of course, I make mistakes anyway all the time. Oh well.....:laugh: And yes, Tigerpaws.....I know I need to practic, practice, practice if I want to get to Carnegie Hall.:laugh:
  • Gogogal
  • Expert Boarder

Re:any suggestions 13 years 11 months ago #3110

I just started reading Flatpicking Essentials, Volume 2: Learning How to Solo.
The goal of this book is to teach how to play a good solo version of any song, not just teach some arrangements for solo guitar.

The concept of "solo" is confusing. When a band is playing, an instumentalist may take 'break' where the instument is the featured lead voice. This is often called a 'solo.' But a good guitar break will be different in the context of a full band vs. when actually played alone (solo) or in a duet. The introduction to this book claims that the student will learn how to tailor the 'solo' to best fit the situation.

Here's the link:
flatpickingmercantile.com/Merchant2/merc...&Category_Code=02001
  • jwing
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Page:
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds