Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Fun with electrics

Re:Fun with electrics 14 years 4 months ago #2219

Thanks for the advice, it certainly makes sense. I think that overpressure left hand is a big part of the problem (I play bass guitar also, which doesn't help!). Also the narrower neck and large fingers! My acoustics have wider necks.

I have a Roland Microcube modeling amp that my son has absconded with that actually sounds pretty cool as long as someone other than me is playing it. Also I have a Fender FM65 DSP that again sounds great if someone else is playing my Strat through it!

As far as cats in fan belts, my "faithful" little dog gets up and LEAVES the ROOM when I turn on my guitar amp OR my big Markbass Bass rig. But she stays when the acoustic guitar comes out. Go figure!

PS I am enjoying this class tremendously. I took it because I needed to be forced into playing with others and in front of others, a lifelong aversion/phobia has to be overcome (public speaking no problem, just public playing). Yes, I neurotically avoided recitals like the plague when I was a young lad playing piano for years.. Drove my parents crazy. Now they're driving ME crazy. Oh well, I deserve it.

Ed
  • edbird
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Fun with electrics 14 years 4 months ago #2239

Absolutely agree on the class. I learned about it in Dave's guitar 1 class last year, and like you, was reluctant seeing that bluegrass wasn't really my gig. (and the whole playing in front of others deal). But being exposed to other musicians and playing with them cannot be understated. I know and truly believe private lessons are needed, but this class gets me by until i get the time for lessons, which i know will take me deeper. Also, i've come to appreciate this genre of music, it really is fun.
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave

Re:Fun with electrics 14 years 1 month ago #2609

espian wrote:
Not to mention have you heard Clapton's tone?

Which one?

The tone on Beano (or any old Cream album) sounds nothing like anything he's played in the last 30 years. Cream tried to recreated more vintage tones for the reunion shows but it just didn't work out. I love the Strat on Layla.
  • OutlawSteph
  • Junior Boarder

Re:Fun with electrics 14 years 1 month ago #2615

You can't recreate vintage tones without the vintage equipment, and other than vintage guitars no one wants to use those old amps again.

Anyone going to see Clapton next weekend? I will be on a business trip in Chicago and will miss it. Darn. I'd love to go. I've been reading some posts online about the shows on the current tour and they sound fantastic. He did an acoustic mini-set with Vince Gill the other night in Nashville, I think.

And don't forget McCartney's coming in April!!
  • edbird
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

Re:Fun with electrics 14 years 1 month ago #2626

Hi Steph. It's funny you mention Cream. The word that comes to mind when I think of that Clapton tone is milk. It's so smooooth. Right now I'm listening to Third Degree on From the Cradle. The closest I can come to that is to turn the volume up and the tone all the way to 0 on the strat with no effects on the amp.
When you coming back to the Wednesday night class?
  • espian
  • Expert Boarder

Re:Fun with electrics 14 years 1 month ago #2661

I still think the "CAT" looks totally like a rabbit
  • deafstrum
  • Expert Boarder
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds